Today in the Fishroom ~ 07/04/08 Vieja ufermanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen a few folks with this particular Vieja...but they aren't that common. I have three in a 100 gallon tank. The male is about 10"...there are two females (8" - 7"). I am about to pull one of the females out...not sure which. One is in really good shape, a bit bigger and the smaller has a few "bumps & bruises"...but seems to have more attitude and appears to be actively pursuing the male. More often than not she is in breeding coloration. There has yet to be a spawn...and I think the male is either confused on if he likes girls or boys...or he's just confused. But which one comes out? Anyway....Here's the male:

Uffermanni-426b.jpg

Male again with the female in the back. Note the darker breeding coloration. When the two females square off they turn a very nice black and white with an iridescent sheen. Very pretty.

Uffermanni-428b.jpg

And it's all about timing. I love photographing breeding cichlids. They can care less what you are doing in front of tank. Here's the female in the middle of flashing the male. She does this often. I wanted to get a shot of her flashing and the male's reaction.

Uffermanni-427b.jpg

More of these soon.

Thanks...three more...

I took out the smaller female and put her in the pond. Here's the larger female:

Uffermanni-431b.jpg

More flashing. (see...told you it happened a lot. :D ) I love the coloration on these fish. You can see the female's darker "come and get it" breeding colors. Interesting to see what happens now that they are alone. I did a 90% water change on the tank and kicked up the temperature.

Uffermanni-430b.jpg

Looks like the female is a little upset by the camera's intrusion.

Uffermanni-429b.jpg

More to come...

They have some amazing colors. I don't know anything about them to be honest. I must do a bit of research. They are quite pretty.

Back
Top Bottom