Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

POTM Champion
Today In The Fishroom~5/31/11 P. Fredrichsthali Light Set Up

Going along the same vane as a previous post on a light set up for the Zonatum. My goal her was to light the fish both top and bottom as I have previously. The problem I have had in the past is adjusting the lower flash to a point where the light would illuminate the bottom of the fish while eliminating any hot spots. I was looking for an "evenly lit" top and bottom photo.

Here's a shot of the female...a new bride for my F0 male P. fredrichsthali "Yellow Head". He has killed the last two. She is much smaller as you will see in the photos. The male is about a foot long with beautiful trailers. This was a good photo, but I thought the bottom light was too hot. Dramatic lighting, yes...but not what I was looking for.

Here's the lighting set up. On top were two Nikon SB-800 flash units with Gary Fong Lightsphere diffusers. That bell shaped diffuser throws two cones of light down onto the subjects. The Nikon Sb900 flash is attached to a Graslon diffuser. As you can see it is a much larger (and softer light focus)

If you look at the picture of the fish, you can see how the light is falling on the fish. Take a good look at the light from below. By adjusting the output of this light on the bottom I was able to get these photos.

OK light

Perfect light

Not the best aesthetic shot...but spot on light top and bottom of this beautiful species of cichlid. The male is about a foot long.

Somedays you have a hobby, other days the hobby has YOU!
Aquamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Great job! Really nice looking pics and fish!

Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Excellent photos!
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Came out very nice lighting. Congrats.
My Fish Videos | My Fish Photos
Tim Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, light, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com