Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2006, 01:03 AM   #11
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Well, to me, it really seems like it's got the shape and coloration of some species in the Vieja genus. I just can't figure out which.
My friend had one that was either a guttulata or zonata. I never could tell which, they look very similar in photos.
This one that I have does not look like the one he had, so I don't think it's either of those 2. I also don't think it's one of the "blackbelt" ones because of the multiple stripes and coloration.
I thought it might be Vieja fenestrata because they have the striping pattern but in the pics I've seen they have a very reddish colored head. Maybe I'll just have to see if he changes color when older.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Considering the number of bars and the splotch near the tail, shape and mouth position, these two species are the closest...

Cichlasoma fenestratum and again, the Cichlasoma guttulatum. The red in the fins seems to match the fenestratum, but I still lean towards the guttulatum.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #13
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I just found this pic of a young blackbelt and it looks VERY similar to mine, although this one does have more red: http://www.cjexotics.com/images/blackbelt.jpg
I think it'll be much easier to tell when it gets older though.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The atlas I have (the large Axelrod atlas) doesn't have any juvenile photos of black belts...just a couple of adults. Better hope it's NOT a black belt...LOL. Great looking fish, but in my experience with them...cannot be housed with other fish at all when mature. Very demanding for their space. I've never seen a juvenile black belt with the exception of the link you provided. The black belts I've come into contact with have all been large adults. Customers would bring them in when they start to murder their fish and obviously bought elsewhere. I won't order fish like that to sell out of the store unless it's a special order. I see no reason to because then they all come back when they're monsters and no body wants them.

Anyway...

We have three possibilities here. As the fish grows a little more, it'll show more adult definition and can narrow it down to one. If the mid bar becomes more distinctive than the other bars as the fish grows, then you know it is a black belt. If not, then most likely a guttulatum. There is stil the possibility it could be a fenestratum. Guess now only time will tell.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 03-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, thanks a lot! I do think that atlas may be a little outdated because I don't think they use Cichlasoma for those anymore. I'm pretty sure it's been changed to Vieja, that's how it is on fishbase.org anyway.
I have a LFS that takes fish. If it gets too aggressive, I can just give it to them.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The atlas is a bit outdated. The changing of names on fish is all too common and it seems once one atlas is updated it becomes quickly outdated again...LOL.

Nov/2004

Tags
cichlid, ich, identify

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com