Updated pics of the 180 in the buildup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a few updated pics of the 180 that I did the buildup on several months ago. The first one is when I first put it together...taken on 4-16-2003. Next pic was taken on 5-15-2003. Last pic was taken on 3-3-2004. It's getting there :) .

Here's pics of the colt coral I added...one of the first corals to go in the tank. Pics were taken on 5-15-2003 and 3-3-2004.

Here's some pics of other corals in the tank. Also, the cleaner shrimp that works my fingers over any time I put my hands in the tank...he is totally fearless. There is a scolymia, a sinularia leather, and a rasta leather (Sinularia flexibis I think) with the shrimp on it.

640watts? Thats alot of light.

How does it feel to live next to the surface of the sun? :D

Nice tank, btw :)

640watts? Thats alot of light.

How does it feel to live next to the surface of the sun
Thats not really all that much light for a 180gal.. I personally have about that on my 55gal with 2x250w MH lights and 2x55w PC actinics...

BTW looking good Logan..

James

Thanks. 640w really isn't that much for a 180 as James said. This tank was set up with soft corals in mind and a tight lighting budget. One reason is that I only visit this tank every two weeks, so I didn't think it would be a good idea to have anything in there that wasn't pretty hardy or anything that would use a lot of calcium...just can't depend on folks to keep those levels up. The way the tank is set up now, I do a 30-40 gallon water change twice a month and all the levels stay pretty steady. If I had a bunch of SPS in there, I expect the calcium levels would be close to nothing by the time I got there to do maintenance. If this was an SPS tank, it would probably have around 1200w of light total.

If this was an SPS tank, it would probably have around 1200w of light total
I would say more abouts 1700w or so.. 3x400w MH and probably 4x 140w VHO bulbs. That is what i would do if it were an SPS tank in my house.. lol I kinda like going a bit overboard though.. LOL 610w on a 55gal.. not that extreme now is it lol...

James

Back
Top Bottom