Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What Camera do you have??

My camera is a pile of junk Fuji and takes horrible fish tank photo's I was just wondering if everyone could tell me what camera model they have,how much it cost and if they like it. I am not buying anything for the fish tank until after the honeymoon in a month or so. I am getting Married July 12th and then we have a house in Cambria California on the beach we are staying in for a week. Planning to visit the Monteray Bay aquarium as well as Santa Cruz and Pismo Beach and Hertz Castle. And when we fly in to Seattle we are picking up our New SAINT BERNARD puppy 11weeks old. I definately have a need for taking some photo's. So I was going to buy a camera before I went but I want a decent camera. Not professional quality but not novice either. More of an intermediate camera that takes amazing photo's. So what camera do you have???

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I am also in the market and heavily leaning towards the Nikon D80 (possibly used D200), which takes wonderful underwater photos in addition. Here are a couple websites I view often:

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
If you aren't ready for a digital slr, there are a ton of slr-like point and shoot cameras that take great photos. I use a Canon Powershot S5 IS. It takes great pics IMO. Mine has a cool super-macro mode, though I rarely use it. The zoom is awesome and the macro mode takes great pics. It also has manual and custom modes so you can have more control.

I've been told this Fujifilm one is good and a great price. It has similar features to my camera which probably costs $100 more.

If you want a dslr, some of the entry level ones are pretty good. I've heard good things about the Rebel XTi. Just remember you have to buy lenses for those.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote - Rebel XTi. Just remember you have to buy lenses for those.

They do come with a lense (35 - 55mm I think) that you can do a lot with. I love my digital slr. Macro lense options. Telephoto for outdoor stuff. Limitless possibilities IMO over the compacts if you've got the bucks.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the Kodak easy share z712 IS it is a 7.1 mega pixel and a 12X digital zoom.
I think it takes pretty good pics even of my kids on the move, and If I can use it anyone can.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Quote - Rebel XTi. Just remember you have to buy lenses for those.

They do come with a lense (35 - 55mm I think) that you can do a lot with. I love my digital slr. Macro lense options. Telephoto for outdoor stuff. Limitless possibilities IMO over the compacts if you've got the bucks.

Oh I know. I'm totally looking forward to buying myself a dslr soon. I never know what people's budgets will be so while everyone is recommending slr cameras, i like to remind them that for better macro pics you need a macro lens and then for far away outdoor stuff, you need something else. Definitely worth it if you can spend the money on one. They are definitely supreme over P&S cameras, but there are a few slr-like cameras if you can't spend money on a dslr.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Olympus

We have an Olympus EVOLT E300 Digital 8 mega pixel. It is an awesome camera we purchased on our honeymoon in ST Thomas USVI in October of 2005. If you are in the market for a good digital, and want to get the most for accessories, the place to buy it is in the USVI; duty free and tax free.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
My camera is a pile of junk Fuji and takes horrible fish tank photo's
I know what your saying. I have an older Fuji FinePix 2650. It's fine for "regular" pics, but it sucks for tank pics or macro shots.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My camera is a fuji finepix A345 definately don't reccommend anybody pay more than 40bucks for one I paid 160 dollars about 4years ago. I am looking to spend about 300dollars this time around. I figure if I ask you all what camera you have and shop around online I can get a much better deal than just going to best-buy and picking one up

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have a Pentax K10D. I would recommend it highly.

Tags
camera

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com