What kind of puffer is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had seen this puffer in a pet store and was told that they think it's a green spotted puffer and it's about 10 years old. My thoughts is that it isn't because I've never seen them that big before.

Possibly a Tetraodon Sabahensis, but the belly also looks like its covered with patterns. Right? How big?

The whole thing looks like that. Both are about a foot long. I picked up a fahaka yesterday too got $40

I thought the first 2 pics were the same fish. I didn't realize they were 2 different fish. Are you sure they were both around 1ft long?

Fahakas are really cool. If you get sand, they will bury like a congo puffer. What size tank will you provide for your fellow?

At one point, I got puffer fever and tried to get as many puffers as possible. I'm glad a mentor stopped me before I got out of control.

I agree that Tetraodon sabahensis looks likely. Some of the images of the species on the web show patterning on the belly, so it is probably variable.

Tony

Right now he's in a 29 till I find a new home for my arrowana then he's going into a 75 then the next size up after that. I have an amazon too that will stay in the 29. There is sand in both tanks and he's out so far all the time.

Upgrade to a 120g, 180g, or anything that is 2ft wide for turning radius. Skip putting him in a 75g. Fahaka's growth is too fast within the first year.

Lets call the two sabs: Tetraodon cf. Sabahensis.

I troll CL everyday looking for a cheap 180g. Hard to come by for a good price.

How much did the "gsp" cost?

When you go gsp tank again, could you try to take accurate measurements of the length of those puffers again? I would like to report back to the puffer community about your findings. Generally, Tetraodon Sabahensis are around 6inches (usually) maximum. If you're saying they are 1ft long, then its a significant finding. Also, find out the water condition (ie Brackish or salt? tank size? ect).

Thanks for your help.

I can stop by there again but it's a little over an hour away. They were over a foot long I'll measure them more closely next time I go there, will be there probably Sunday. It was strictly fresh water they were in no salt, I'd have to say the tank was at least a custom 100 gallon tank. But I will get specifics for you.

Back
Top Bottom