Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Dad was able to bring home his work's camera, it's a Olympus D-560. It's a vast improvement over my old 1mp but it's not the best. When I went to take a picture without the flash on things go really blurry. The Rainbow's without flash and the Ram's with.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Verse914
I have an 8MP Sony 828.

Sony 828 Pic...

And this was taken with my Sony 717 5MP...

Sorry for the large pics, but its the only way to show the true quality of a 5MP+ camera. I can change them to links if need be.

Verse914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:57 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it's necessary to change them to links

Awesome pics by the way. I still say, the number of [ixels determines the size of the photo more than anything, the quality of the ccd will determine how good the picture is. If you have the largest amount of photosites on the ccd, but the ccd quality is not the best, the larger picture will simply amplify the imperfections.

Brenden, the reason for the blur without the flash, is that the shutterspeed was slowed by the camera to allow enough light for a decent exposure. With fast fish, it is almost impossible to get away from using the flash

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

That makes sense. Although I've looked at some cameras and they bost characteristics as 1/2500 shutter speed, wouldn't this help with taking a picture of a fast fish without a flash?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:30 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

At 1/2500 shutterspeed the image will be very crisp and black if you don't use a flash. The shutter speed controls how long the shutter is open 1/2500 does not allow much time for light to reach the sensor.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its definitely not necessary for taking pics of fish I can take super crisp pics of my Tropheus (which are constantly moving at lightning speed ) with a shutter speed under 1/200s. I used to take pics of them with a 1/2000s shutter speed (with a flash), but found it was giving me a longer shutter lag, and wasnt necessary. I went down lower and lower and found that I can stop a fast fish in his tracks with 1/160s without any problems.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Aaron, what aperture and what ISO are you using to stop fish at 1/160 sec without flash? Are you using any exposure compensation?

Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Resolution question...

This is silly. You aren't going to be able to see any difference between a 1MP and a 6MP by looking at nice pictures on this website. You'll see good photography and bad photography, but you're unlikely to be able to see the value of more pixels.

Check the resolution of the monitor that you are all viewing pictures with. I bet you'll find it has less than 2 million pixels in the entire screen area. That means if you are looking at any image that has more than 2 million pixels, you're not seeing all the detail that the image may have...especially if the image isn't using the full screen.

The proof is in the print.

By the time you're looking at the image on this site, it doesn't have the original number of pixels anyway. It's been compressed and lost information in order to be posted.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:15 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Silly? Hardly.

Post up a 1MP pic at 1024x768 and one of a 8MP at the same size and youll notice a HUGE difference. We are limited to our screen resolution, but there is still a HUGE difference between a 1MP and 8MP shown here our monitors.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:10 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Post up a 1MP pic at 1024x768 and one of a 8MP at the same size and youll notice a HUGE difference. We are limited to our screen resolution, but there is still a HUGE difference between a 1MP and 8MP shown here our monitors.
Hmm, don't have a 1 MP camera, but I got one that will take pics at 2 MP on up to 12 MP. If I'm not mistaken the resolution of a 1 MP camera will be 1024 X 768. Since there aren't too many 1MP cams floating around, I thought it might be more fair to do it from 2 MP up.

Each pic will get there own reply, starting on the next page.

Tags
api, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com