Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Worst Photographer Ever

I'm desparate...I'm the worst aquatic photographer ever. If anyone has seen the pics in my gallery, you know I speak the truth.

I'm looking for assistance in this area. I have a FujiFinepix 3500 with a 6x zoom.

How do I get a clearer pic?

Of course, pics of regular subjects are always fine (my kitty pic for example).

Old 02-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're not the only one Jchillin, I had to take over 200 pics to get one that looked good enough to become my avatar
I waste allot of time trying to get one decent shot of my fish
But if you put allot of lighting on your tank (only for the picture), you can reduce your shutter speed allot, and you don't have to use your flash, which will both contribute to making a better picture of aquatic life. And getting in focus on the thing you want to photograph is also a PITA for aquarium photography.
You can always get the newest-state of the art digital camera. I'm sure that will improve your pictures allot

Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The lighting is certainly not the problem...it's the imagery. I tried everything so far (standing far away...used zoom, up close no zoom). It still comes out blurry even when my subject does "pose" and is not moving. I don't mind shooting a few hundred shots, I just need to get a "clear" one.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure you use a tripod. That will make a world of difference. Also set your camera's timer to take the pic. There will be no movement in the pic at all. I am not a good photographer myself, but I learned these tricks from the good ones here.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been taking better pictures since I found the close up button on my camera. Also, the pictures come out clearer if the flash is on.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
Most cameras have a setting for doing close up shots. Your camera actually does have a macro mode...which would help you with those shots a ton.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I don't have much better luck than you do, Jchillin - my pictures of actual fish were just "luck" because I don't know how I got them, lol! Plus I have a very inexpensive 2mp camera with hardly any adjustability to it.

I am moving this over to the Show off/Photography forum, where these issues are discussed. I have gotten some great tips from our members, like turning off all of the lights in the room at night, with only the tank light on, no flash, and, as mentioned, a tripod. Macro is very helpful for fish photos, also as mentioned.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Ahhh...kudos to you all for the advice. I will try these hints and "see" what I can come up with.

And here's what the camera looks like.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
Awwwwwwweeeee..thanks jchillin..i noticed you are doing better with your photos...SWEET!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

JChillin.....

I use a Fuji FinePix S3000 and have gotten some not-too-shabby shots with it. You're going to find that the 'Macro' setting will be your lifesaver and with some experimentation you'll be able to use your flash with it. All of the pictures in my gallery were taken with this camera using automatic mode, automatic focus, automatic flash and the macro setting. Here are a couple of samples I'm particularly happy with:

Long-Armed Shrimp - Macrobranchium sp.

Armored Bichir - Polypterus delhezi

Eyespot Bush Fish - Ctenopoma ocellatum

-Joe

Tags
oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com