Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Ardeus
I not sure yet about the best option: Let the sunlight in directly through a transparent ceiling or use the cover to make it more diffuse. Does direct sun light pose any problems? I know that in a regular tank it's not a good idea. What will happen in a space this large? It will probably turn completely green if there's enough CO2 and phosphates. It's good that you mention the lighting problem, cause my main concern will be to avaid excessive algae growth.

Although many malawis are veggestarian, I don't think they will take care of the problem.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

well it depends on what you're looking for. If you want the inside to mimic a natural environment then let the sun shine in. Natural ponds etc have algae and plants growing all over them. You'll just have a constant battle of keeping your viewing glass clean. With that large of a tank the acrylic will likely be 1 inch (2.5cm) or more thick. Not many magnet cleaners work at that thickness, of course you could probably shop around for some specialty magnet cleaners... otherwise you're going for a swim for maintenance

Honestly, what I would think would give you the most help and information, is to find any local aquariums and see what you can do about talking to one of their keepers. Find out about equipment, upkeep and chemical costs etc. I'm sure they have a ton of information that would be useful and much more relative than a bunch of us home aquarium types trying to scale up 50+ gallon tank knowledge and trying to apply it to 500,000 gallons.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
http://www.magfloat.net/products/acrylic/1000/ - acrylic or glass from 1¬Ĺ-2"
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I wouldn't want to get my fingers stuck between those...
Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
I'm sure they have a ton of information that would be useful and much more relative than a bunch of us home aquarium types trying to scale up 50+ gallon tank knowledge and trying to apply it to 500,000 gallons.
ROFL! Yea.. thats a slight posiblilty..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com