Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Choice A!
Have you ever seen "thegreenmachine" natures chaos video on YouTube. A similar set up would look awesome in a tank like yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

got my stnad coming along nicely, added a beuty trim around the edge to break up the vertical wall of oak. routed both sides of some 2"x1" red oak for it, so all there is left now is the top hood and crown molding. Got the material for it, hoping to be staining the whole thing before the weekend is over.

tank has been cycling over a week, waiting on polishing pads to help clea rup the water. did two 25% changes which helped. got my pleco and lone albino cory in there, both seem to be doing well. seller screwed up my order so still dont have water param test kit.
6500k ligth will be in tomorrow.

glue is ugly, obviously still need to sand it. But the trim ring was a great idea, wasnt going to do one at first.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey man!!! That stand looks amazing!!! One cool part about the hobby is the DIY aspect. And the trim is such a good idea! Are you going to stain it all dark?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

It was originally goign to be stained the brown color like the rest of the stand, but wife and i decided we dont really like the broiwn, so now i have to sand at least the clear coat off most of everyhtign and will be going ebony over it. maybe 1 coat iwll do, hoping to get a burnt/burnished effect with it.

Im going to leave the one trim and the tops unfinished untill I get the rest stained, to see if maybe a different shade, or jsut clearing it would give it some high light and make the stand more prominent
Old 08-08-2015, 01:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

105"x38"x20" stand I built

Word man!!! That first picture you posted with the boards around the base of the tank, look really good unstained!
( cedar or red oak I think you mentioned?)

Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

105"x38"x20" stand I built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
quick Q, wondering how my plant and driftwood setup shoudl be.

my sub slopes up towards rear of the tank. Wondering if i should do A or B.

A brings both sides low then high in the middle with a central peice of wood or whatnor,

B has high growth on the side with more of a void in the middle. with driftwood on either sides of this "void"

I am personally leaning towards B i think, as it makes your eyes scan the whole tank rather than having a big cluster in the middle. Opinions? I know theres some japanese sacred formulas and rules of thirds to follow here, but I do not know them.

Very nice stand and setup. That cabinet space is huge. Plenty of room for a decent size CO2 tank or pretty much anything else.
Will you be installing light inside of the cabinet? An expensive shop light or led strip should do fine. Perhaps have it come on/off with a trigger on one of the doors.
How has the design come along inside the tank? This might be a little late but here is an article about layout: Getting Started with Aquascaping

Edit: I like B assuming the DW is off center a bit.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #17

didnt think of light inside the cabinetr, not really necessary as I have a pot liugth almost directly infront and above the tank which shines a lot of light into it with the doors opened up.

I have decided on B as well, just need to find a nice center piece of driftwood (will offset it 2/3 from the right), that doesnt cost 100$+

Right now I am showcasing 125 gallons of muck, super cloudy water still, the jet fell off the filters output when i was messing with it besicaly destroying the cap on one end of the tank and pumping soil everywhere. Right now I have osme baby swords in there, some tall random plant from LFS, and what a seller desribed as (weird octoput plant) to me it looks like chives. Have a bunch of saggitarious coming which will be my fore/midground plant. So need to start doing large water changes to clear the tank up. It has never been very clear.
PS that water clear stuff, does it work by bonding suspensed particles so the filter cna pick it up better? I have 2 polishing pads in the fx5 but they dont seem to be doing much.

Some more pics. The woodwork is basicaly done, on to sanding and staining. Just have to make some small 1" drop beuty oak veneers under the crown to cover the pine back board. Got the glass for the top ordered. It encomases the whole surface area of the aquarium, and leaves a 3" tall slit along the back for gas exchange. the LED will sit ontop of the glass. I have a very wide plastic center brace on the tank, so raising the light should help lessen the shadow cast by it in the center.
I am also re staining the whole thing, to me much much darker, almost a burn oak look, still a satin clear. Got some nice brushed stainless handles for it too. You can see from the right side i kinda goofed and the crown cant go all the way full depth, so I had to stop it up against the wall. Will add some pine backing baord behidn it so you cant see all the way through.

flip up top. Fits nicely. Still need to make a rear brace so the glass has full support around the perimeter and to add overall rigidity. Using hydauylic prop rods like on the trunk of cars (but much less force) to help with opening and keeping it open. I dont want to use a prop rod in fear of knocking it over, and having the lid come down causing all sorts of damage.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice! Monster tank! What are you planning fish wise?
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow what a gorgeous setup! Who needs TV when you have TV like this?? That I could watch for hours...

Caleb
Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's one heck of a build there man! Nice work!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com