Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thank you guys, definilty taking alot of time.

fish wise I have my common plec, and 1 cory n there currently, he will be getting some more cory friends, probably 6-8 total, 25-30 neon tetras, and about 6-8 discus hopefully, well see about pricing and availability. No one local stocks them here, LFS said they could get some, about 20-40$ a pop for juvis if i order.
definitly gfoing for the jungle theme

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
thank you guys, definilty taking alot of time.

fish wise I have my common plec, and 1 cory n there currently, he will be getting some more cory friends, probably 6-8 total, 25-30 neon tetras, and about 6-8 discus hopefully, well see about pricing and availability. No one local stocks them here, LFS said they could get some, about 20-40$ a pop for juvis if i order.

I'd watch out with a common pleco and discus. It's like polar opposites. discus need very clean water and plecos, especially giant commons, make a huge mess generating a lot of waste.

Caleb

Old 08-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #23

Thank you, that is very true. The larger the fish, the more waste, especially with a pleco.
What about a smaller 4-5" bushynose?

Im really liking the red spotted variety of the discus, great contrast agsint a heaviuly planted tank, and I beleive they are commons domestics?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

105"x38"x20" stand I built

I did not notice the crown molding thing on the right side. Very nice molding.
I've tried flocculants from different manufacturers and I cannot say which product worked better than the other. I do remember the water turning milky white for a day or two. I would suggest filter fluff/floss alone or in conjunction with a settling agent/flocculant. Water changes will help as well.
As for the common pleco, it may become too large and disruptive for the plants in there. Bushy nose should be fine. You could also try otocinclus cats and Siamese algae eater (Siamese, NOT Chinese!).
The light was a suggestion because of all that space under there. Having enough light to read timers and other gadgets under the tank helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #25

decided to add some small beuty trim jsut under the crown molding to hide the pine backing, and also covers the gap betwene the lid and the top. and it was 10 bucks only so might as well. Tonight I will FINALLY be finished all the construction, and just stain left now. The glass top is done as well. Ok i lied I still have to get the hydraulic push rods, and secure the light to the top. ONly thing that bugs me is the tank center bracing, casts a decent shadow inside the water.

THe cloudyness is starting to annoy me. I know its because I didnt wash the kitty litter clay, soil or black beuty sand at all, However I have done 3 wate rchnage sin the past 2 weeks, all about 75%, and last nigth added some flocculant but still just as cloudy. Tryign to save time up front doesnt pay off. im sure it is the clay and soil that are giving off all this bacteria and silt. Going to load up the fx5 with more polishing pads. have 2 in there right now but dont seem to be doing much.

I did get (I paid for 35 but actually only got 28!) neon tetras, they seem to be enjoying themselves in there, still very shy when I approach the tank. Going back to get my remaining fish! Took a pic of the unopened bag so I could count em without them moving around.

Also my heaters are annoying too. I have an old Jager, and a brand new one. The old is a non submersable one, new is the sub kind. Both 250W.
Anyway, when I had just the old one running, I had to set it to 78, to yield a true tank temp of 82 F, it was on probably 80% of the time.
So I put in the new one, set it to 82F, but the tank will only reach 79F!
Right now I have both going, i turned the new one up to 83, old one is at 78..well see what the temp is when i get back from work.

The top WAS open during this experiment, so that definitly didn't help to hold heat in. Now the glas sis on, we shall see.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
decided to add some small beuty trim jsut under the crown molding to hide the pine backing, and also covers the gap betwene the lid and the top. and it was 10 bucks only so might as well. Tonight I will FINALLY be finished all the construction, and just stain left now. The glass top is done as well. Ok i lied I still have to get the hydraulic push rods, and secure the light to the top. ONly thing that bugs me is the tank center bracing, casts a decent shadow inside the water.

THe cloudyness is starting to annoy me. I know its because I didnt wash the kitty litter clay, soil or black beuty sand at all, However I have done 3 wate rchnage sin the past 2 weeks, all about 75%, and last nigth added some flocculant but still just as cloudy. Tryign to save time up front doesnt pay off. im sure it is the clay and soil that are giving off all this bacteria and silt. Going to load up the fx5 with more polishing pads. have 2 in there right now but dont seem to be doing much.

I did get (I paid for 35 but actually only got 28!) neon tetras, they seem to be enjoying themselves in there, still very shy when I approach the tank. Going back to get my remaining fish! Took a pic of the unopened bag so I could count em without them moving around.

Also my heaters are annoying too. I have an old Jager, and a brand new one. The old is a non submersable one, new is the sub kind. Both 250W.
Anyway, when I had just the old one running, I had to set it to 78, to yield a true tank temp of 82 F, it was on probably 80% of the time.
So I put in the new one, set it to 82F, but the tank will only reach 79F!
Right now I have both going, i turned the new one up to 83, old one is at 78..well see what the temp is when i get back from work.

The top WAS open during this experiment, so that definitly didn't help to hold heat in. Now the glas sis on, we shall see.

That's the one thing I'm not liking about the Eheim Jšger heaters, I have a few of the new ones. They make the water warmer than the dial is set to even though it's the correct wattage for the tank size.

Caleb
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #27

Youd think a reputable company would have properly calibrated heaters. Its not a huge deal, as you learn what the true temp is vs what the dial says. But is an inconvenience no doubt. If someone had very sensitive livestock and dropped one of these in, could cause some issues if you are not aware..

edit: just read the manual (always first thing i throw away, then i wonder why something isnt working). Basicayl says monitor the temp, and use the red recal ring. using my laser temp gun, Seems new one needs 84 to maintain 82, and old one needs 78 to maintain 82 lol
Old 08-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Youd think a reputable company would have properly calibrated heaters. Its not a huge deal, as you learn what the true temp is vs what the dial says. But is an inconvenience no doubt. If someone had very sensitive livestock and dropped one of these in, could cause some issues if you are not aware..

edit: just read the manual (always first thing i throw away, then i wonder why something isnt working). Basicayl says monitor the temp, and use the red recal ring. using my laser temp gun, Seems new one needs 84 to maintain 82, and old one needs 78 to maintain 82 lol

Still quite a bit of work for a heater that should just do what the dial says.

Caleb
Old 08-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #29

agree 100%. should be calibrated at the factory.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:09 AM   #30

Basicaly done. Not happy eith the black, or the brown. Think i might do the entire lower section im black . Wont look so patchy then. Wayer cleared up like crazy in last 2 days. found a lone baby discus at lfs, had to get her as a test mule. If she can recover from her slow gorth and achieve 6", will be a good test for me to see if i am capable of caring for 7 red panda discus from a3-3.5" size.
got aome great driftwood coming in and lots more plants!

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com