Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

105"x38"x20" stand I built

Designed to accept a 9 foot tank. Would have to be custom built/expensive. Id like to do a full marine setup with a tank this size eventually, but that is not for a long long time.

Anyway, stand is made with ALOT of pine 2x4, redundant bracing, then 3/4 red oak boards and cabinets. Cant tell as the secondary "inner bracing" as i call it is obscured by the oak facing in the second pic. I have the 2x4 on their short side screwed up into the long rail up top with support beams on all 4 sides running to the lower rail. She is one sturdy girl.

Right now being set up for my 125 6' tank. Will have a nice flip top lid on hydrualic prop rods, it will contain a piece of glass ot help with evaporation, as well as the LED light. 6" crown molding canopy tilt hood

Total height will be just over 6' tall.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice! That's one heavy stand haha

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

nice job is that where it is going to stay , cause I see it blocks off part of window
ans I bet that thing weighs a ton ,
Old 07-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
nice job is that where it is going to stay , cause I see it blocks off part of window
ans I bet that thing weighs a ton ,
hmm dont know where you see a window there haha. Yes that is its final position. I made it to fit into that little nook there. Need to pick out some nice handles with the wife still. Well and actually..rebuild and put the aquarium in there!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

thats not a window at the end of the tank stand , saw the sill thats why I thought it was a window
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

ah nono, my basement has the whole wall done like that, the otehr wall opposite has the same but much smaller. The tank is facing a very large bay window, 6' x10' But there is no direct sunlight that ever gets through it as the deck is over that window. In the summer its dark down there, but there is ambient light during the winter when the sun reflects off the snow. The tank is about 20 feet away from the window
Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

mocked up the rear pane. of the tank.

originally I was going to do a drop down section of the hood over the tank as it is 5" lower than the top of the cabinets, but have come to the conclusion, I will build a 5" riser for the tank, under which will be a big pull out drawer or perhaps just a pull out table top to rest drinks on or whatnot. Considering this but realistcaly probably will just be a flat panel of oak as there are plenty of areas for storing stuff (point of the side cabinets for food etc).
So just a 2x4 riser to net me 5" raised tank height, oak board on the front, and then the top can be all in one plane 6" crown molding.

basicaly number 2:

the top cabinets are pushed back about 8" from the front of the cabinet, so if looking at the tank from the side the molding will actually be in 2 planes. This gives the tank more depth, and canb be viewed from more angles.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

my original 125 i was rebuilding cracked at the top corner and fell apart, a good 6" x 6" section as I was tightening down the clamp to get air out of the one seam that didnt want to hold on its own. Well..that was a bummer. But i picked up another 125 in good condition with good main and secondary seals. i had the guy fill it with water, and then i drianed it looking at all seams to make sure this thing is good to go. It was indeed. Picked it up for 150, and am putting it on the stand tomorrow. Painted the back and part of the sides black for that nice showcase look. This tank has two top plastic braces, for a total of 3 lateral braces. One main seal had a bit of shrinkage in it, right in the middle of the seam in a few areas but these areas did not shrink/enlarge at all when filled and drianed with water. I am confident with it. Just need to finish cleaning the brown alread off the side seals. using soap water and vinegar with a yellow/green dish sponge. Will probably come off easier once tank is full of water.
At least I can use the botom pane of my old tank for the hook of new tank. It will be raised up approx 1 inch from the tank top, will be eclosed on 3 sides, open to the rear, so will have a littel strip for gas exchange but will greatly help with evaporation..I hope. hoses and cables will run out the back. If the evaporation is still bad I am thinking of gluing on strip sof glas son the rear to only leave room for the filter hoses and cables...bad idea?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

Got it up finally, i mixed 30lbs of natural clay with about 120lbs of soil, and capped with with 100 lbs of black beauty blasting sand. The BB cap was nice, definitly minimizes sediment getting stirred up. Plus the black sand looks awesome, however wont be seeing much of it as i want to plant that short grass type stuff along the whole foreground. Dont remember what its called But I have a bunch of it in my 15g which will be turned into a shrimp tank. I graded the substrate so the rear is higher, giving it a natural slope, and allows deeper sub for bigger rooting plants. Filled it 3/4 up with water. need to extend one hose on the fx5 and I will start turning the water, and do a fishless cycle soon.

my wife, being unimpressed with the picture and skeptical of the whole situation. I needed a human to show the scale of it better. Definitely feels larger in person standing beside it. I need to go pick up one of those 2 step stools to service the tank now.
I am considering buying 3 new coralife 6700 bulbs for my 5' light i got for free, might cost me 30 bucks vs spending 165 on the nice 72" beamworks LED. It will happen eventually, but this will be temporary.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #10

quick Q, wondering how my plant and driftwood setup shoudl be.

my sub slopes up towards rear of the tank. Wondering if i should do A or B.
A brings both sides low then high in the middle with a central peice of wood or whatnor,
B has high growth on the side with more of a void in the middle. with driftwood on either sides of this "void"

I am personally leaning towards B i think, as it makes your eyes scan the whole tank rather than having a big cluster in the middle. Opinions? I know theres some japanese sacred formulas and rules of thirds to follow here, but I do not know them.

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com