Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pictures

Attached are pictures of the location. The first is the bar, which is not much to look at yet.

The second is the area just behind the bar. The door opening you see is out to the living area with the bar. Sorry about the drywall obstructing the view.

Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	14957   Click image for larger version

Name:	behind_bar.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	14958  

Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like it's going to work out great for you. And look fantastic. See ya

Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #13

I'm having trouble deciding whether to choose a 4' 5' or 6' long tank for the location. The bar is 7' wide, so 6' might be pushing it. 5' would be nice, but I'm worried that then I'm into non-standard lighting, etc. Does anyone have thoughts about lighting a 60 long tank? I will probably would not use a canopy anyway since the tank will be partially in the wall.

Thanks again for any advice,

Ralph
Old 09-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ralph

I'm a newbie so this may be dumb suggestion. If you want to go with 6' or even 7' tank, can't you use 2 separate light fixtures assuming there is center brace.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I think a 6' tank would look great there. With the front trim it would take up the whole width of the bar and look awesome. For 6 footers, you've got the 125, 150 and 180g to choose from in stock sizes, depending on the height and width you want.

I commend you for really doing your homework before you "dive in". You'll find lots of great advice here too!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would also go with a 6' tank. Like newfound said you would have a few options for stock sizes which would probably be cheaper then the less common 5' or 7' tanks. Lighting a 5' tank wouldn't be that difficult you would just have a little room on the end where it would not have as strong of light. You could put your soft corals and mushrooms and lower light corals there. Another advantage to having a 6' would be that fish like tangs and angels and such like the extra length for more swimming room. Active fish will be happier with the extra foot. Have you looked into what kind of corals you want to keep? If you want to have SPS corals you will probably need MH lighting in which case the tank length wouldn't be much of an issue because you can move around the fixtures until you get an acceptable lighting spread. Sounds like an interesting project. good luck
Old 09-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm hoping that you are going to start a tank build thread so we can follow this from beginning to end. I'll be watching this one.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #18

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm looking forward to seeing it there.

I have more research to do on exactly what I want to keep, but I would like to keep hard corals and fish.

Would it make any sense to hang a 6' fixture over a 5' tank and let the light "spill over" the sides?

I may be leaning towards 6' here. I also think it would look nice, but leave just 6" on each side, no room to squeeze in a sink back there I was hoping for.

How do I start a "tank build thread?"

Ralph
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
A "tank build thread" is just a normal thread like this one dedicated to your process/project. Its just like a little e-journal that updates the people here on how things are going. We like lots of pictures! people will continute to post thoughts and ideas on your build thread as well so it benefits both sides.

I don't see any real big advantage to haveing a 6' light over a 5' tank. You might get a little more light in there. On the other hand i can't think of any disadvantage either.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only disadvantage that I could think of would be price.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, diy, diy project, reef, salt water, saltwaternoob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com