Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That is one great looking stand. Great workmanship. You probably could make a living doing that. LOL

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm glad to see you polied the inside as well believe me it is well worth the little bit of time spent on it.

The stand is looking awesome! I am very impressed! For the canopy one suggestion I have is this; hinge it so you can get in from the front instead of the top. If I had it to do over again I would have built mine in such a way that I could lift the top up and open the front. As it is now I have to remove the canopy from the tank to do anything in the tank. That is a pain!!! The next tank we setup will be a built in and I will have access panels from the back for the lighting.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Looks great thus far. Very nice.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Glass Drilling 101
Actually this turned out to be way easier than I thought. Once you get past the fear of the glass breaking when you hear the drill bit grinding thru, you're OK. Total time to drill the hole...5 mins.

I got everything ready. Diamond bit from Ebay ($6), plumbers putty ($1.99) and bulkhead from LFS ($10). I layed the flange where I wanted the hole and just outlined it so I knew where to drill.

I made a dam with the putty and filled it about 1/2 way with water. I also read that using foiled duct tape on the back will help prevent chipping. In my case, it was a waste. The hole didn't go thru exactly straight and when the bit went thru on the one edge first, the tape fell off when all the water drained thru the opening.

Here we are about 1/2 way thru. The water was white from the ground up glass. I mopped up the water but you can still see some of the white glass grindings.

Success!

And the finished hole with the bulkhead in place.

This was really easy and fast. What I did learn was when starting the hole, drill it at the highest speed you can. I used a Craftsman cordless drill and tried going slow at first, but the bit just slid around. I pulled the trigger full speed and even tho it got pretty loud with the grinding noise, the bit caught and away it went. I stopped about 1/2 way to take a pic. I wouldn't do that again either as it was scary restarting the hole. Once you start, keep the drill full speed and go until you are thru the glass. I used virtually no pressure on the drill. I just let it go on it's own.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I love the way this is turning out so far. Nice pictures, and thanks for sharing

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I drilled my 55 a few weeks ago but it took me a lot longer to do it because I was afraid of breaking the glass. It is a nerve racking process!!! You are much more bold then I, I don't think I could drill a brand new tank.

As it appears that is the end of the tank and I don't recall reading what you said you were drilling it for. So what are you drilling for?
Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing the glass drilling experience. I've thought of doing this on multiple occasions.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nevermind I just got to looking at the pics more closely and that isn't the new 125 you are drilling. LOL...

Continue on...I will sit quietly and watch.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

However you build that canopy, thiink of access to as much of the tank as possible. That said, my best access is when I have my canopy completely lifted 12-15" above the tank. I'm not sure how that translates to what you need to do, but reaching in from the top is gonna be a bit more difficult for access to the floor of the tank.

Also, somehow be able to still see with the lights at whatever position the canopy is raised, swung, hinged, etc.

The work is outstanding! Looking great!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Great pics and advice. Keep it going.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com