Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #31
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I've come up with a simple canopy that should work fine. I'll show you what my current canopy looks like and how it's built. This is the same design I started with almost 20 yrs ago when I first set up my 50 reef.

Basically I just built a box with 1x8's with 4 sides and no top or bottom. This is where my 4 reg flourescent bulbs sit. Then I built another box with 4 sides and a top. This houses the MH. The second box just sits on top of the first.

While this worked perfect and gave me all the access I needed, it worked better on the 3' 50 gal tank than it does on the 75. Reason being the 50 only had 1 MH bulb and the 75 has 2. The top box just holds the heat too much. During hot summer days I have to keep the A/C going and put another fan in the canopy.

So on to the new simple design. Not much to describe, so here's a few pics.

I will have 2 holes cut on each side for fans, but pretty much that's it. It sort of looks like it needs something, but it is solid. Oh, and you are looking at it upsidedown (obviously) and the piece leaning against the new stand is the door that will hinge up to open.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The only thing I would change from the desing in the way you have the reflectors and bulbs. If you turn them 90 degrees and have the bulbs pointing back to front you will get better coverage and overlap with your lighting. I wish I had done that one my 72. I will be doing that one the 180 upgrade later this year.

Are you going to have VHOs? or T5s as supplement?

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #33
SW 20 & Over Club

Hmmmmm...maybe you should rethink your design...or research reflector performance. Sanjay Joshi did a 5 part study on different MH reflectors. While I don't claim to be an expect on reading spectral plot graphs, I did alot of research before I bought the parallel reflectors I have. Here is the graph from my reflector.

Sure seems to me that the open ends let alot of light out, which in your scenario, would mean your putting alot of light on the back and front glass. I'm meeting Sanjay this weekend, so I'll ask him what orientation is best.

I'll be using 2 6' URI SuperActinic's for supplemental lighting.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Have fun meeting with Sanjay. I got to see him at MACNA a few years ago. He sure knows his stuff!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hey I have no problem being corrected! I would be very interested in knowing what he has to say as well. I think I was thinking about a different kind of reflector not the one you have. I have been looknig at the ones you got on hellolights and I will probably go with the same thing on my 180 upgrade. Thanks for providing the information on the reflectors!!! If that is the way they should be oriented for max light then I will do the same thing!!!

I can't wait to see more pics of what you have done!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
SW 20 & Over Club

There is nothing better than asking questions. That's pretty much the reason for this thread. If someone can pick up a tip or two, or give me a tip or two, this thread can be a benefit to all.

Reflectors are a pretty important part of the lighting system and I researched to see if I could justify the price (aprox $120 each) for the top of the line Lumenarc's or LumenBrite's compared to the parallel reflectors ($30 each) I bought. There is a big difference in performance, but the price difference was too much for me to handle right now.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I know! I would love to pick up 3 of those Lumenarc III for the new tank. That is just too much money for the reflectors. I think I may plan for the upgrade of them one at a time or something. I think I have decided to go with the same reflectors you have they will work for what I'm wanting to do. How are you going to mount your VHOs in the hood??
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #38
SW 20 & Over Club

Yup, that was my same thought on the reflectors. Maybe upgrade at a later time.

The VHO's won't actually be mounted, they will sit on the 2 L-shaped pieces of wood you can see on the sides on the new canopy in the last pic. It's the same type of setup as on my current canopy. You can sort of see the bulbs sitting inside the hood on the last pic of my current canopy. It makes it nice for access because I can slide the bulbs back to give myself more room.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Interesting idea there! I guess it has worked because your 75 looks great!

I'm working out the details of a lighting rack that I will be able to raise and lower inside of the canopy. My canopy will not actually sit on the tank. I'm going to mount it and build it to the celing above the tank and the sides will come down to the top of the tank with the apperance of sitting on the tank. I haven't figured all of that out just yet but I also don't have the tank yet or even started the actual construction. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do it though.

Have any more pics of your work thus far???
Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #40
SW 20 & Over Club

I made some progress this week on the canopy, but I do computer repair work on the side (helps pay for this hobby) and this was a busy week.

Picking up where we left off.

I didn't really like the idea of having to open up the entire front everytime I have to feed the fish or clean the glass, so I cut 2 openings for doors in the front.

Two simple doors just like the stand.

It's pretty much done now. I just have to paint the inside white, stain the outside, poly the whole thing and put on the doors. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com