Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #51
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I was hoping to have the tank ready to move the 75 into next weekend, but I still have lots of odds and ends to do. I think I have all the plumbing parts I need, but I'm sure once I start I'll be heading to HD for more stuff...lol. My RO/DI unit in under the sink in the kitchen so there is no way I can run a line directly into the tank and just let it go for a few days to fill. I'm going to have to do this 5 gal at a time. I might be able to do 15g a day since I can only do it while I'm home so that alone will take time.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I'm not sure how yours works but my unit has 1/4 plastic flexible hose for the output and we bought an adapter that converts it to like a garden hose fitting. It might be worth it to hook that up and run the hose from your sink to your tank. 125 gallons is a lot to fill 5 gal at a time.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #53
AA Team Emeritus

Just thought about electrical. Hopefully not too late, or you already planned for it.

I had a 20amp circuit added behind my tank. The electricians may say that was overkill. Anyway, that single circuit had 4 outlets. Figured MH lighting, 4x96 actinic, sump light, 3 pumps (main, skimmer, and sometime UV), with 2 tunze powerheads and controller, and topoff pump, I'd feel better. Didn't want all that drawing from a circuit shared with any home areas.

That'll only work of course if you got any extra breaker positions in the main box. Installed that line with oly 3 square boxes cut into the wall and ceiling. Of course it's in my basement. How are you fixed for power?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #54
SW 20 & Over Club

I don't know about amps or anything electrical, but when I bought the house I had my Dad wire 2 outlets directly to it's own ground fault breaker. This tank is in the same spot and I'm using the same outlets. The difference now is I'll be running 3 MH's, but the return pump, heaters, skimmer, etc will now be in the basement on another circiut.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like you're covered.

I don't know electrical either, but I also had a whole house plug added on the backside of the house. 8000 kv? generator.Twist lock plug. Turn the main off and the big ones (heater, other 30-60 amp). Turn on all the 15s and 20s and run the house lights and outlets. Saved my tail in an 8 hour outtage once. The investment paid off that night.

Of course, the next house will have the backup generator with auto turn on. All I've done won't help me bit if I'm not home.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nicely done! I know it was an all day project when I moved my 72 3 feet. I can understand your need for a break!!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

I have a 50' water line I connect when I need to fill my top off container. I use a 25' section when I fill my pwc container. You should be able to get the length you need at HD. This time of year my top off fill takes most of a day.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #58
SW 20 & Over Club

That's a good idea. I never really considered. I figured there would be back pressure because the water would have to be pushed instead of just flow. 25' would definitely get me from under the sink to the tank.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus

and save your back from all those 5 gallon pails. I let my top off fill run overnight and as long as it needs after that. I'm about to start filling for another pwc. The outside temp is 22 right now so my tap water is probably high 30's. This is gonna take a while. Time to order that booster pump!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
I don't know about amps or anything electrical, but when I bought the house I had my Dad wire 2 outlets directly to it's own ground fault breaker. This tank is in the same spot and I'm using the same outlets. The difference now is I'll be running 3 MH's, but the return pump, heaters, skimmer, etc will now be in the basement on another circiut.
Just remember that 120 watts at 120v is 1 AMP. Most residential circuits are on 15 AMP breakers...3 x 175w = 525w/120v = 4.4 AMPs for 3 175w MH alone. Make sure any extension cords/adapters/isobars are properly rated. Where most folks get into trouble is by plugging equipment into a 15 AMP circuit using a 4 or 5 AMP rated cord or isobar believeing they have plenty of head room.

I would like to join the many others in saying that is one zexy looking DIY stand !!! I wish I had half that vision and talent with a saw!! Excellent work!

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com