125 reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I picked up my new Perfecto 125 RR tank before Christmas and finally got around to starting the build. I will be putting this tank in the same spot my 75 sits now. I'm going to have to move my chocolate labs kennel too. The only time she ever goes in it is during a thunderstorm.
old_tank_1-08.jpg

The new tank looks HUGE. Thats a 10g with an angel as the sole survivor from my 55 fw breakdown from a few years ago.
new_tank_1-08.jpg

On to the stand construction. Keep in mind I am doing everything with only a circular saw, compound miter saw and hand saw in my basement. Basic 2x4 construction. Notice the OSB on either side. I had my roof done in the summer and kept a few pieces just in case. Well my precision measurements left me exactly 1" short. 1/2" OSB on each side and I'm good to go.
stand1_1-08.jpg

Next I wrapped it with 1/4" birch plywood.
stand2_1-08.jpg

stand3_1-08.jpg

Cut out the openings for the doors. The doors are 1x5 tongue & groove. They are build, just not attached to the stand until I get it upstairs.
stand4_1-08.jpg

Put the moulding on and it's ready for some stain. I'm going with Golden Oak. The pics really make the plywood and moulding look like totally different colors. They really aren't as different as it looks. I think the stain will blend them nice.
stand5_1-08.jpg

stand6_1-08.jpg

I'll keep updating as I go. I can take pics of just about anything, so if anyone has questions, fire away.

Even though I had a store bought (Oceanic oak) stand, I still slapped a couple coats of polyurethane on all of the inside. Over the paint, of course. Did the insides and the top edges where water was likely to come down the glass onto it.

Still gotta add the bottom shelf, huh?

Also what is that, about 2" of the bottom of the tank is gonna be hidden by the moulding? Looks kinda high from here. Seems like it should be only as high as the trim at the bottom of the tank.

I probably won't do anything to the inside of the stand since everything that's normally under the stand will be in the basement. The outside will be stained and then a few coats of polyurethane.

I'm not putting in the bottom shelf until the tank is in place. I'm hoping to take the plumbing down thru the bottom of the stand.

The plastic trim on the tank is 1 7/8". That's how high the moulding is so you will just see moulding then the glass.

Looking GOOD!

How are you going to move the 75 out to the way? Are you taking it down to move it and setting it back up while you complete the plumbing on the 125?

Stand looks great so far. When we made our stand they plywood got a little warped and now the doors don't sit just right.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to break down the 75 and set it back up till I'm ready. I tried to figure out a way to empty it, move the 125 in place and just fill that, but there's too much involved with the plumbing. Until I move the 75 I don't know exactly where to go down thru the floor. My plan is to have all the plumbing go down inside the middle section of the bottom of the stand.

I don't anticipate any warping. The ply isn't structural and it's glued and nailed to the 2x4's.

I got the stand stained tonight and will be putting on a few coats of the poly tomorrow night. Also got my tracking # for the 3 spider reflectors I ordered from HelloLights. They will be here Friday so I can work on the canopy over the weekend.

That`s a great looking stand. You seem to be pretty good with building things. Cant wait to see the rest of this thread.

Very nice! I wish I had documented the progress when I built my stand. There is a kid down the road from me, he and his dad are asking me to build them a stand like mine so if I do that I will document things every step of the way.

I would suggest sealing the inside of the stand even though you aren't going to have any equipment in it. It's just a good idea to do and doesn't take very long.

Thanks all. It's coming along. Just a few updates.

Stand is stained and ready for polyurethane. I originally was going to use Golden Oak, but I tested a few pieces before I started and didn't really like it, so I went with Colonial Maple. I think it turned out pretty nice.
stand7_1-08.jpg

stand8_1-08.jpg

I also got a package delivered today.
reflector_box.jpg

reflectors.jpg

I got a free gift with the reflectors too.
thermometer.jpg

For those who may want to try a DIY MH system, here what the ballast looks like. This is an "f-can" ballast. 2 wires go to the bulb and 2 wires to the plug. Really simple.
175mh_ballast.jpg

Just curious what was the cost on the DIY metal halide? I was looking into upgrading the lighting on my 36" tank and didn't really want to spend the 600 dollars for the marketed fixture.

Very nice! I wish I had documented the progress when I built my stand. There is a kid down the road from me, he and his dad are asking me to build them a stand like mine so if I do that I will document things every step of the way.

I would suggest sealing the inside of the stand even though you aren't going to have any equipment in it. It's just a good idea to do and doesn't take very long.

I second that, you just never know what the future may hold for the stand, and it's really easy to do now.

Just curious what was the cost on the DIY metal halide?
Reflectors/mogul base - $30 each
ballast (f-can) - about $100 new from electrical supply store or about $30 on Ebay. Core & coil ballasts are quite a bit cheaper (maybe $30 new from electrical supply).
bulbs - anywhere from $10 each on Ebay up to about $70 each for brand names.

Reflectors/mogul base - $30 each
ballast (f-can) - about $100 new from electrical supply store or about $30 on Ebay. Core & coil ballasts are quite a bit cheaper (maybe $30 new from electrical supply).
bulbs - anywhere from $10 each on Ebay up to about $70 each for brand names.

Check out ebay for sure! I got all new equipment when I upgraded to MH. I got most of it on ebay and the rest of it on Hellolights.com. I use PFO ballast for my MH and ARO for my VHOs my T5s are TEK. $600 whew, no way. I could light a 400g tank for $600.

Yeah, pls do the inside with the polyurethane since it IS very easy to do now. Never know...

Darn, that thing is looking good! Love those doors.

Stand is polyed, inside and out. Only thing left is drop in the bottom, but that won't be done till all the plumbing is in place.

stand9_1-08.jpg

stand10_1-08.jpg

stand11_1-08.jpg

Next is on to the canopy. I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to build this. I want to have the front hinged to open up, but it might be tuff. I bought a sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade ply and hope I can work out something with that.

Back
Top Bottom