125 reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That canopy really came out nice. Good idea to add the 2 doors to the front. Did you consider making the top a two parter so you could raise half at a time for maintenance?

Ziggy, you can probably find window pulleys that you can rig in the canopy to raise and lower your lights.

Things are coming together! It wont be long and you will be posting pics of water in the tank!!

I'm going to be working up a design for the canopy and stand this weekend. I have a few ideas that I think will work.

My plan is this weekend the 75 is being moved to the other side of the room and the 125 will be put in place. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have everything ready to move into the 125. At least that's the plan. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? I have probably 100 lbs of very live sand full of bugs and worms. I really do not want to toss this since live sand costs like $3/lb at the lfs. Want I want to do is take all the sand from the 75 when I'm moving it and put it in a 15g tote. While I'm making the move I'll also be doing a pwc so I will have some water left when everything is finally moved. I want to use this water (at least 15g) and rinse the crap of the the old sand and leave it in the tote with a ph and heater till I'm ready with the 125. Anyone think there will be any problems doing this?

FWIW, when I moved from a 72g to a 155g, I used about 20% of my old sand mixed with new sand. Used about 40 gallons of exisiting water, and the over 100g of new, aged SW. 100lbs of rock from the 72 also, and I had an instant cycle. Added all of my fish over a 1 week period (after watching ammonia and nitrate - they never went up). Everything went well for me.

I would use new sand (playbox sand @ $5.00/50pounds from a home store) and use the top inch or two from the existing tank to seed it. That give you about a 50/50 mix of new and old.

@austinsdad: That is pretty much the same plan of attack I was going with, except for the sand part.

@cmor: I only have 1-2" of sand now and in some spots none. It's a mix of CaribSea Seafloor, CaribSea oolitic and some Kolorscope playsand from HD along with live sand I picked up from various lfs in my travels. I would pick up a lb or 2 whenever I visited a new lfs that had live sand. Adds great diversity. Being that it's a ssb to begin with, I want to move it all. I shouldn't have to worry about the nasties you can come across moving a dsb.

@pat8you: thank you

I'm exhausted. 11 hrs to move the 75, set it back up, bring the stand up from the basement and set the new tank in place. I think I'll need a week to recuperate...lol.

New tank in place....wooohooooo!
new_tank_2-9-08.jpg

75 is now on the other side of the room.
old_tank_2-9-08.jpg

Skimmer was going wild when I hooked it back up. Nicer head than a draft beer.
skimmer_2-9-08.jpg

Love the stand and canopy, wish I could get my hubby to build me a canopy, and I wish I had drilled my tank, but had to get it sat up quickly since I did not trust my 55, since the center support broke.

I was hoping to have the tank ready to move the 75 into next weekend, but I still have lots of odds and ends to do. I think I have all the plumbing parts I need, but I'm sure once I start I'll be heading to HD for more stuff...lol. My RO/DI unit in under the sink in the kitchen so there is no way I can run a line directly into the tank and just let it go for a few days to fill. I'm going to have to do this 5 gal at a time. I might be able to do 15g a day since I can only do it while I'm home so that alone will take time.

I'm not sure how yours works but my unit has 1/4 plastic flexible hose for the output and we bought an adapter that converts it to like a garden hose fitting. It might be worth it to hook that up and run the hose from your sink to your tank. 125 gallons is a lot to fill 5 gal at a time.

Just thought about electrical. Hopefully not too late, or you already planned for it.

I had a 20amp circuit added behind my tank. The electricians may say that was overkill. Anyway, that single circuit had 4 outlets. Figured MH lighting, 4x96 actinic, sump light, 3 pumps (main, skimmer, and sometime UV), with 2 tunze powerheads and controller, and topoff pump, I'd feel better. Didn't want all that drawing from a circuit shared with any home areas.

That'll only work of course if you got any extra breaker positions in the main box. Installed that line with oly 3 square boxes cut into the wall and ceiling. Of course it's in my basement. How are you fixed for power?

I don't know about amps or anything electrical, but when I bought the house I had my Dad wire 2 outlets directly to it's own ground fault breaker. This tank is in the same spot and I'm using the same outlets. The difference now is I'll be running 3 MH's, but the return pump, heaters, skimmer, etc will now be in the basement on another circiut.

Sounds like you're covered.

I don't know electrical either, but I also had a whole house plug added on the backside of the house. 8000 kv? generator.Twist lock plug. Turn the main off and the big ones (heater, other 30-60 amp). Turn on all the 15s and 20s and run the house lights and outlets. Saved my tail in an 8 hour outtage once. The investment paid off that night.

Of course, the next house will have the backup generator with auto turn on. All I've done won't help me bit if I'm not home. :)

Nicely done! I know it was an all day project when I moved my 72 3 feet. I can understand your need for a break!!

I have a 50' water line I connect when I need to fill my top off container. I use a 25' section when I fill my pwc container. You should be able to get the length you need at HD. This time of year my top off fill takes most of a day.

That's a good idea. I never really considered. I figured there would be back pressure because the water would have to be pushed instead of just flow. 25' would definitely get me from under the sink to the tank.

and save your back from all those 5 gallon pails. I let my top off fill run overnight and as long as it needs after that. I'm about to start filling for another pwc. The outside temp is 22 right now so my tap water is probably high 30's. This is gonna take a while. Time to order that booster pump!

I don't know about amps or anything electrical, but when I bought the house I had my Dad wire 2 outlets directly to it's own ground fault breaker. This tank is in the same spot and I'm using the same outlets. The difference now is I'll be running 3 MH's, but the return pump, heaters, skimmer, etc will now be in the basement on another circiut.

Just remember that 120 watts at 120v is 1 AMP. Most residential circuits are on 15 AMP breakers...3 x 175w = 525w/120v = 4.4 AMPs for 3 175w MH alone. Make sure any extension cords/adapters/isobars are properly rated. Where most folks get into trouble is by plugging equipment into a 15 AMP circuit using a 4 or 5 AMP rated cord or isobar believeing they have plenty of head room.

I would like to join the many others in saying that is one zexy looking DIY stand :bowl:!!! I wish I had half that vision and talent with a saw!! Excellent work!

Back
Top Bottom