125 stand build question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Could I use 1x6's for the screw strips on a 125 stand and screw the 2x6's into them. I was going to do 2x6's for the strips but then I don't have room for a 55 gallon sump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or a could use 90 degree bracket to hold the 2x6's in place. Here's what I have as of today.

Elaborate on screw strips? are you going to add jack studs on the out side corners to carry the load?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Elaborate on screw strips? are you going to add jack studs on the out side corners to carry the load?

Yea I'm going to use 8 2x6 jack studs on the corners. I was going to use 2x6's every 2 feet also for extra support. The screw strips are just for the 2x6's to screw into.

I got ya.. so they'd be acting as a cleat? Are you going to wrap it with ply?

I can't tell from the pics so I will ask if you have 2 2x6's in an "L" pattern in each corner for support? You probablyly will need at least one (I would place 2) center support to keep the stand from sagging under the weight.

Yeah it will be wrapped in plywood

I can't tell from the pics so I will ask if you have 2 2x6's in an "L" pattern in each corner for support? You probablyly will need at least one (I would place 2) center support to keep the stand from sagging under the weight.

I will put 2 in an L pattern when I go get wood again. My main objective was to get the tank off the floor since I have kids.

Would the 1x6's work fine as a cleat?

Were you electro environmental in the air force?

Would the 1x6's work fine as a cleat?

Yah, just use premium wood glue as well as string screws and predrill to avoid splitting the wood.

Yah, just use premium wood glue as well as string screws and predrill to avoid splitting the wood.

Got it. Thanks man

It's not so much the gravitational pull I'd be worried about, not that it's not important.. it's the weeble wobble factor I stress over.. it may feel great at first, few months, few wc's later and it starts dancing with out music?? Ohh boyyyy..

It's not so much the gravitational pull I'd be worried about, not that it's not important.. it's the weeble wobble factor I stress over.. it may feel great at first, few months, few wc's later and it starts dancing with out music?? Ohh boyyyy..

What if I used elbow brackets on top of the 1x6

Any kind of stimpson framing brackets or strong ties will certainly help out.

If you add 2 2x6 on each outside corner to form an L, screw into the existing 2x material you have both in the middle, at the top and at the bottom, you have all the support you need. If you wrap with plywood or some other product there is no need to add additional supports or cleats. Not that over building is a bad thing when it comes to aquariums, but with the 2x material your tank is currently sitting on, you already have more support that any prefab stand you buy and honestly more than you need. 3/4" plywood with corner cleats is more than strong enough by itself to support a 125gal tank - and almost all the load bearing occurs at the ends rather than in the middle of the tank.

If you add 2 2x6 on each outside corner to form an L, screw into the existing 2x material you have both in the middle, at the top and at the bottom, you have all the support you need. If you wrap with plywood or some other product there is no need to add additional supports or cleats. Not that over building is a bad thing when it comes to aquariums, but with the 2x material your tank is currently sitting on, you already have more support that any prefab stand you buy and honestly more than you need. 3/4" plywood with corner cleats is more than strong enough by itself to support a 125gal tank - and almost all the load bearing occurs at the ends rather than in the middle of the tank.

I hear ya man about it being overbuilt but I'm not a carpenter so I feel a bit safer making it as overbuilt as possible. Especially at a fraction of the price of a prefab stand.

I am a carpenter and I tend to over build, especially when it's something that will see repeated use over the years. You could park a bus on the bars I've built haha.. it doesn't hurt, for an extra $15 and hour or two?? You won't regret the added heft, I agree with WY though, the middle of my stand is wide open, 2x3 construction with a solid 1/2" front panel with 2 openings cut for doors. I did use a solid 2" slab of hardwood as a top though, takes away from framing needs..

I am a carpenter and I tend to over build, especially when it's something that will see repeated use over the years. You could park a bus on the bars I've built haha.. it doesn't hurt, for an extra $15 and hour or two?? You won't regret the added heft, I agree with WY though, the middle of my stand is wide open, 2x3 construction with a solid 1/2" front panel with 2 openings cut for doors. I did use a solid 2" slab of hardwood as a top though, takes away from framing needs..

Would you mind posting a picture of the stand your talking about with the open front?

Back
Top Bottom