Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, today a got a 75 gallon tank that Iam going to make a sump out of. And I started construction on a stand for it. (First time Ive ever done something like this ) After I get it done Iam going to start installing acrylic sheets to seperate compartments in the sump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0001[1].jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	22793   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0002[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	22794  

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I havent made much progress lately...my roof started leaking because of all of the snow we got out here, been dealing with the insurance adjusters..BLAH.. Anyways I started staining the stand and it looks HORRIBLE, I dont know how to make it look uniform and its all botchy. Anyone know any tips on staining? Or should I just take a sludge to it and start over.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i used to have a hard time staining too. what you have to do is when you brush it on, use a paper towel to remove the excess, but you have to do it about the same time each time you brush it on. so if you brush some on, if you wait 5 seconds to remove the excess, you have to do it that way the whole way through. if not, it gets blotchy. at least that works for me, maybe others have other ideas that work as well

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

what color are you staining the stand, and what kind of stain are you using?

there are several reasons to why you get blotching. one of the most common is just that the wood is prone to blotching. another is the use of dull sand paper. when sand paper gets "dull" it can actually sand the wood so smooth that the pores of the wood become sealed in certain spots and the stain doesnt accept as well into those spots. also be sure that you have removed all of the old finish as that will inhibit stain from penetrating.

one tip I know of is to coat your project before you stain it with a very diluted shellac then stain on top of it. doing it this way you wont get as dark of colors though.

another tip is to put a first coat on with your regular stain and then put a top coat on with a gel stain.

if you are going for an ebony stain (black but you can still see all your grain) you can always use a solution of vinegar and iron which will turn the wood black. if you know what you are doing you can also use it to make a lighter stain apear to be darker by spraying the solution very lightly and evenly across your entire project before you stain.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the reply. Im using Cabot and the color is american colonial..I used 80 Grit, and thin 220 grit. I need to start over... how can I get the stain off(I know I cant get it off completely)just sanding? or is there a solution I should use?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gonna tag along with this one as well, very interested in this thread, and cant wait to see how it turns out.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sanding will work but you cant get into all the nooks and crannies with sand paper. If you want you can use a two part hydrogen peroxide solution that you can get at most paint stores, this doesnt remove the stain but it bleaches the stain so you cant see it anymore. I have never used this method (never had to strip stain all the way off) but it should work as long as you follow the directions and as always test it in a place you wont see first. Minwax sells a pre-stain product that helps with blotching that you can try too. I would use the oil base one to avoid grain raise, unless you want that look.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump Stand

Thanks for the tips yeetee!

Just a quick update. Ive got the base of the stand for the sump done, I may just put a foam pad in between the tank and the stand and leave it this way because its staying in the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0298.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	22977  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc0286 View Post
Thanks for the tips yeetee!

Just a quick update. Ive got the base of the stand for the sump done, I may just put a foam pad in between the tank and the stand and leave it this way because its staying in the basement.
I would only use the foam if it's an acrylic tank.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sump looks good but your first pics dont work

Tags
project, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com