15/20 gallon long project.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I've not started this yet and probably wont start for a long time either.

I'm doing as much research as I can so I know what I'm doing before I start and cant finish :p

I'm wanting to build the tank 30" x 12" x 12", or possibly 36" long to make it 20 gallon. would 6mm glass be thick enough with it being so long? or should i get 8mm for the bigger panels i.e. front/rear?

How much trouble is it to build a lid? Capable of housing adequate lighting as this would be a planted tank? Would it just be easier to buy a lid, or would you recommend a d.i.y one? and if i was to build one out of wood...how would the condensation affect that?

Any ideas on a filter best suited for this? I don't want a sump, but not sure about HOB filter as never had one. Don't want the current too high (at least at one end) as I will be putting a CT Betta in here. D.I.Y filter is an option if I knew what to do etc.

Also what light set-up would I need? I've got plants in my current set-up but wouldn't class it as a 'planted' tank. Would one 15/20W strip light be enough?

Update:

Well... no reply but ill do an update anyway.

Already the design has now changed from 15/20G to 30G or 35 us Gallon.

Size will be 36"x15"x15" with a duplicate sized sump (both custom, pricing up the glass now)

Sump is going to have 4 compartments: 1) course filter media and bio-balls/ceramic noodles, 2) more bio balls/ceramic rings and medium media, 3) planted refugium with lights reversed to display tank, 4) fine media where water flows from 3 - 4, 2 x 500l/h pond pumps and 2 x eheim e-type heaters.

I will also be building the stand with 3 compartments (top/middle/bottom) and advice on build design would be appreciated. this will be a living room centerpiece so needs to be more than just safe, thinking about making it look antique sort of design?

The tank itself i will be aquascaping, plants either side with a dip in the middle and a floating island off-centre with a sand fall below the island. what is a GOOD/CHEAP substrate for the plants? also a good selection of plants?

Plants I'm considering so far are:

Java Fern
Java Moss
Amazon Sword
Dwarf Hair Grass
Dwarf Anubias
A Long Glass That will comb across the surface - Jungle Val?
And Something Purple or Red? Wendts Water Trumpet?

Stocking will be as follows (only ideas so far)

10 RCS
10 Blue Pearl Shrimp
10 Pygmy Corydoras
10 Otocinclus
10 Halequin Rasbora/Glowlight Tetra
10 Dwarf Neon Rainbow Fish
3 Betta Imbellis (1m,2f)
3 Betta Smaragdina (1m,2f)
2 Horned Nerite Snail
2 Zebra Nerite Snails

Still don't know the best idea for lighting or lid as of yet, was thinking of having just a glass top (2 openings) with a light fitting going over the top, advice on this would be helpful for fittings.

Not yet just been trying to research what equipment to get. And doing some drawings, so far I've just drawn the sump, don't know where to start with designing the unit.
Ive been told I'm not allowed to build anything until me n the wife move into a bigger house :( so I'm playing with a tv Betta tank now :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom