$15 fluorescent pendant light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would this work as a pendant light or can anyone forsee any problems? This will be for my 10 gallon tank with low light plants (java fern).

Supplies:
A regular clamp lamp (like what lizard and snake owners have)$6

The twisty type cf light--I found a daylight one, 15W 6,100k for $5, the wood is 1x1, around $2 for 6 ft., and the hanger bolt, a few screws, a few washers, and an eyelet screw are about $2.

A 1x1 section is cut about 24" above the top of the tank (in my case it would be 5 ft) and secured to a back corner of the tank stand with some 1 3/4 wood screws. Another 1x1 section is cut so that one end of it extends to the middle of the tank when it is secured to the longer 1x1. Screw the lag end of the hanger bolt into the longer 1x1, and then secure the shorter 1x1 with a few fender washers and a nut. This will enable the light to swing back when performing tank maintenence, and will also help position the light where I want it. Screw the eyelet into the bottom end of the short 1x1, remove the clamp from the light, and hang the light.

Please keep in mind I don't know jack about woodworking, so my method is probably lacking.

*note: pay no attention to the file "lightplan.gif." I messed up and downloaded it by accident

my only comment is to be sure you pre-drill all of those holes before screwing. putting screws through 1x1s, especialy that hanger bolt, will easily split the wood if they are not pre-drilled.

Agree with billy make sure you predrill even very small screws can split a 1x1 I have built many things outta wood and thats the one thing you have to worry about is predrilling as for the pendant it looks great!

I went out and got the stuff for the light, it took me all of 5 minutes to put together. I used 1x2 wood instead, the 1x1 was too flimsy. The final cost was $19. Here is the result:

sweet work man ;)

may I suggest hitting the "arm" and the reflector's outside with some flat-black or semi-gloss spray paint - to match your tank's "blackness"

where did you find the daylight cfl?

I have some high temp spray paint I am going to spray the outside of the reflector and the wood with. I think I'm going to start a DIY section on my website and put the finished project there.

where did you find the daylight cfl?

Home Depot, they had one little box of them, but I was a little wrong on the specs. Here's off the box: 19W, 6500K, and the price was $7.97. That's why it's a $19 light instead of a $15 light :wink: .

very nice!

I'll have to keep my eyes out for those bulbs this weekend.. I might make a lill hood for my 20gFW if the bulbs are readily available and cheep

Back
Top Bottom