150gal Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got finished (I think) with this stands frame. The dimensions are 42 high x 60 3/4 long x 24 1/2 wide. The reason for it being so high is that its going on a hallway wall and I wanted it to be eye level. I used 4x4's for the legs and 2x4's for the top and bottom, with L brackets for extra support. The tank, when all said and done I figure is going to be 2000lbs.
When I have it in place, I plan on putting on a solid top and finishing the rest of the stand with 1/4 birch.

Can I get some feedback on the frame itself? Will it be strong enough the way I have it now or do I need to beef it up? The frame itself as you see it weighs I'm guessing 150lbs.

Thanks

looks good to me. i think that if you put plywood around the outside it will make the stand even stronger yet. not mention heavier. but good job looks very clean and well constructed.

Looks relatively strong, though since it appears you mounted the 2x4s face side up (admittedly the easiest way), you might want to add some 45 degree supports along the back and sides (where they won't interfere with access to things. The steel L brackets will help provide rigidity, but they're nore really great for load bearing support (all the pressure pushing down on the 2x4 is transfered to the screws almost directly). Other than that it should be fine, though if you wanted to be paranoid you could run up a couple of 2x4s in the backside gaps, a little added support and more points at which to attatch your birch. Sorry if this sounds like overkill, but I have a habit of overbuilding things, especially when they're going to be supporting a literal ton of water which could really ruin your day were the stand to fail.

The stand looks good, but I did have a thought about your set up last night. Because of where you're placing the tank, is there going to be a way for you to access the middle portions of the tank once its installed? For maintenance, placing/moving rocks? You might want to consider some sort of access panel to get to the long side of your tank.

I'm taking down the partial frontal walls that framed up the closet on the office side. There shouldnt be any problem gaining access to the center of the tank. The other side of the tank, facing the hallway will be "picture framed".

Yesterday I ripped out the section of the hallway wall that the tank needs and set the frame in, "fit like a glove". To take out the sill plate of the wall, I fired up the chainsaw, that was funny. Beleive it or not it was my wife idea.

that stand looks great!

only one question, that looks like pressure treated wood.... I suppose fi you're sealing it inside a wall it might not matter, but all the pressure treated that I've worked with gives off a terrible stench and has a oily / slimey feel to it.

It wouldn't be something I'd want to endure in my home 8O

of the 3 stands I've built, they are all regular klin-dried lumber, and I've noticed no problems with water damage, since they never get wet to being with. maybe the plywood tops get a few drips now and then, but a quick dab with a towel fixes that.

just my $0.02 :)

Thank for the input.

It is pressure treated wood, the reason and the thought behind it was that builders use on all the base plates on the framing in your home, so why not use it for something thats going to suspend water 43 inches in the air, LOL. As far as being slimy or the odor, I havent noticed. I know what your saying, though. I just wanted to be safe than sorry.

Have you read any articles on treated wood being toxic in a home enviroment?

i have read osha reports on protective gloves and respirators need to be used when cutting or drilling pressure treated lumber, as the dust is harmfull, but I'm sure a lot of that is over rated.

I think MSU did some research on the subject of pressure treated lumber and it's involvement with agriculture and found minimal impact.

I think pressure treating involves loading the wood with copper, chromium and arsenic. probably plenty safe as long as you're not trying to eat the wood or put it in with the fish!

Nice one man, I got a question for all,
I finishing up a stand for my 37gals, and the top frame is a little bit off balance like 1/10 of an inch when I put a piece of wood on top, any way to fill that little gap or I have to sand off other corner to make the thing look good?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom