Ok Pressley is settled in enough to stop following me for every trip to the basement and doesn't seem to mind the sound of power tools.
I figured it would be easier to install the flashing and ballast with the box partially dissasembled. The grounding wire is pinned between the ballast and the flashing.
After that I got the main wiring completed. FYI, #6x3/4 screws probably would be ideal for mouning the end caps, I had #8s, and it was a tight squeze, difficult to adjust.
Fully assembled box:
Unfortunately, it only lit very dimly. I have to look at the wiring diagrams again, I recall something about splicing the wires together instead of putting them into the end caps directly as I did.
I'm severely wishing I had not cut the wires so short. I've already had to put in one extra splice because of my cutting a wire too short.