18" - 20" DIY lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, now i'm with you. Sorry for that confussion. I never wired a fixture in series, and I don't understand why I would, but the wiring I suggested works great!

I have wired three dirfferent hoods 18" bulbs, 20", 48" from those transformers without any trouble.

Ah. Maybe I should rip out all the end caps and rewire then. The smallest bulb the ballast is rated for is 24", and I didn't see instructions anywhere for using such a ballast with 18" bulbs. (Note the first post in this thread.)

I don't think it matters, electronic ballasts are load sensing. I just looked at my ballasts and they are for 17, 24, 32 yet I 've run 18, 20, 48.

Try cutting your wires and splicing using wirenuts as a test before you rewire the new endcaps.

TwoHobbies said:
Try cutting your wires and splicing using wirenuts as a test before you rewire the new endcaps.
I cut the ballast wires too short, going to have to do that anyway. Going shopping tonight, will pick up new end caps and give it a try.

HD sells a 4ft plug in shop light that comes with a 2x32 watt electronic ballast. I use these on my prop tanks. They can be used tu run 2 28/32 watt PC bulbs or 1 55 watt bulb. I have done both. The kit at HD sells for $7.95 I believe.

Here is a pic and write up. This has been discussed here in the past

http://www.gwapa.org/articles/ODNO/

Back
Top Bottom