Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You could use the drip plate area as you describe. Depending on how much stuff it catches you might want to clean it weekly.

It will also provide a good place to put carbon should you want/need to run carbon for a short period.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I would not use the upper box and drip plate. Certainly don't use the floss. Run your hose(es) to near the bottom of the sump so they are submerged, makes that part very quiet.
Maybe a 90 fitting between the pump and skimmer would make plumbing easier. Or maybe a header to collect the output of the skimmer and dump it 90 degrees to the outlets back in the sump.
Carbon can also be placed in a Lee's specimen container (with the bottom drilled out) placed beneath the skimmer return header.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Do you think a 90* between the pump and skimmer would be better than having it on the suction side between the sump and skimmer pump? Or would it make any difference? I was originally gonna put the 90* on the suction side. Good idea on the carbon. I guess that would help dissipate the bubbles that will be coming from the skimmer return?
Now, for another question...I have a Little Giant 3-MDQ-SC (rated 700gph@1'head). Planning on ordering a Magdrive 2400 also. Which one should be used for the sump flow? I plan on using the other for circulation only. I know the big Magdrive probably isn't the best way to go, but it's the only thing I have found that will both fit the budget and provide the needed flow.
Logan J
Old 02-20-2003, 07:18 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
Do you think a 90* between the pump and skimmer would be better than having it on the suction side between the sump and skimmer pump?
You lost me. Got a sketch?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

OK, the 180 is going into high gear. The eyecare center called this week and said they were ready for the tank back. So I'm scrambling to try and bring it all together. The best part is that they are having an open house the first week in May and they would like their tank to be looking good by then. That may be difficult. The stand is almost done. There are a few things, ordered from Champion Lighting, that haven't come in yet. A Little Giant 4-MDQX 1225 gph pump. Two 4" fans for the canopy. A Pro Heat 2 titanium heater (350w). Bulbs from Aquatic Tech ( www.aquatictech.com ) will be here Monday.
The stand is wired and the sump is installed. 2 Icecap 660 ballasts are in place. The reflector is in the canopy. I used white painted aluminum for the reflector...took about 15 minutes to make it on a sheet metal break. Lighting will be 2 URI actinics and 2 URI white actinics. I'm using the old Little Giant 3-MDQ pump as a closed loop. The 4-MDQX will be used for the sump circulation. Other circulation will come from 4 Maxi Jet 1200's and a Natural Wave wavemaker. Since Home Depot declined to transfer the Southdown sand, after they told me it would be no problem, I'll have to use something else. After checking with www.purearagonite.com, I found that I can get CaribSea a little cheaper from one of our wholesalers. The plan is to put in about 300lbs of CaribSea Aragamax and top it off with LS. Then about 100lbs of base rock and maybe 50-60lbs of LR. I think I'll start the cleanup crew out with about 100 blue legs, 50 astreas, 20 scarlets, and a couple of emerald crabs. Any suggestions appreciated. Here's a few pics.
Logan J
Old 03-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

more pics

More pics.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:56 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
WONDERFUL

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:02 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Got the 180 in place and plumbed in. Sorry...no pics right now...will try to get some later. Ordered 150lbs of honeycomb rock (dry). Put some of the smaller pieces on the glass and used them to support the larger pieces. That way they aren't pressing down on the DSB. Added 270lbs of CaribSea Aragamax and about 60lbs of LS for an average depth of 4 1/2". Filled the tank up about 1/2 way with SW and added about 50lbs of LR. Two MaxiJet 1200's, one on each end of the tank, are keeping things moving. Due to the turtle that is residing in the RO container at the store, (trust me, you don't want to know) I didn't have enough RO/DI water to fill the tank any more than 1/2 way. I guess it'll take a week or so to settle anyway. Bulbs still are not here...getting a little irritated with Aquatic Tech. Although they had the best prices, they were out of the actinics. No big deal except that they didn't bother to tell me. I think when someone orders something and you're out of it, you should make the effort to contact them and let them know. Think I'll pay a little more in the future and order from Hello Lights or Champion. Anybody got any tips to boost coraline growth? I've read that leaving the actinics on longer will help get it started. Opinions?
Logan J
Old 04-03-2003, 09:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

What type of fitting do you have connecting the PH to your skimmer? I have a Berlin turbo setup in my sump and want to reduce the space between the PH and skimmer, so I can add another divider in my sump.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Missed the second page of the post, You are very good that is a great looking setup very neat and organized. Want to build me one

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com