spar might also tint the finish a bit yellow....
I was wondering 'bout that. It seemed to put a realy yellow hue on my pine frame. I'm reconsidering and now plan to go with spar on the hood and stand interior and I'll find a regular poly for the exterior
That looks amazing! ... Hope this isn't nosey but approx how much did it cost and how many hours (labor wise) did that take?
Thanks, and I don't mind you asking at all. Unfortunately, I have not put together all my receipts yet. Ballpark, it was around 175 for the frame, 120 for oak ply, and about 270 for the trim (ouch!) It's a good chunk of cash, but I couldn't get local cabinet makers to come close to that. The real trick would be finding a local millwork store that can help you cut trim cost. I must confess that I didn't shop on this one ... the local diy
was right down the street and I was ready to get going. The good news is that I have almost everything I need for the hood in left over materials from the stand. As far as time is concerned, I started this thread a few days after I started construction and averaged about one long day and a couple of short afternoons per week. The most underestimated part of any diy
wood working is time spent in local DIY
stores picking lumber (PITA). Good luck with yours and keep us posted.
and now the fun part ... got some more pics ... and I'm basically done with the wood work!!!!!!!!!! What a relief! This is by far my best DIY
. I've done the deck thing, the monster swing set thing, the ceramic tile thing, and others; but none of them came out as precise as this one. My wife even noted that I didn't stop at 85% on this job (which is what I usually do). I told her 'not so fast, I still haven't stained it yet, and there's still no ocean scene in our den'. Enough of the commentary, here's the near final product.
The doors worked out well. They recessed nicely and I'm not getting an rubbing on the face. This could have caused some real scratch problems once its stained/poly'd
You can see the recessed doors better here
A look at the top
One other tip on the trim (don't know if I already mentioned this). I used wood glue to match up several of the joints and then put it on the stand in sizeable chunks. On the last piece of crown (on the left side), the back end of it was nearly 3/4" low and 3/4" off of the stand. I put on plenty of wood glue on the joints leading to it and then came back the next day and basically bent that piece into position. This worked like a charm and I eneded up with really tight joins. I doubt this is the proper way, but it worked ... I'll update this post if I see any trouble with the trim after it's had some wear and tear.
Now I'm going to treat myself to a weekend of chatching speckled trout and red fish. What can I say .... I like to watch 'em, like to hook 'em, like to eat 'em!