Thanks oscarbreeder & jamal-188. I've enjoyed the project enough that I wouldn't mind putting one together for someone locally.
Finally got my picks download ... and I made some serious progress on the trim work last night. This late night work is taking its toll.
Started off building the top of the hood by joinging two 12" wide solid oak boards to about a 4.5 foot stretch of oak ply. I used biscuits again for most of the joints/joins on the canopy.
... and then I put together the front (right & left) corners. These are solid oak on the front piece and ply on the sides. Solid oak was used anywhere that the 3/4" edge of the board will be visible (for the most part). It was easier to clamp these two seperate pieces together to make sure that they would be perfect 90 degree angles.
... then I attached the front coners to the back piece. Didn't have a large enough pipe clamp so I had to improvise with 2.
Had to stack up a bunch of stuff in the middle to make sure the back brace wouldn't dip down. Also, you can see the canopy top on the floor that was used to make sure everything was lining up right.
Next was attaching the top to the sides with 2" heavy duty wood screws.
Used the completed canopy shell to line build the door. I hope this lines up correctly when I put the hinges on. Any difference in the door and the front pieces will make for a crappy looking hood.
Then I got started on building the ledge that the tank will sit on. Unfortunately, this is where I made my one amatuer woodworking error. I Measured out the length of the vertical supports for this and completed forgot about the extra 3/4 inches that the ledge itself would add. This left me with only 1 1/4 inches of side material to cover the trim on the tank. The trim on the tank is 1 1/2 inches.
The good news is that this is a mistake that I can recover from. I'll just need to figure out how to use the bottom canopy trim to cover an extension that also runs horizontally back to the tank to cover the trim.
I also cut out space for my wiring in this diagonal support
... then the finishing touch ... molding! I've got the hand of this trim work now. It took very little time, of course it was much easier to do the canopy since it only had 2 corners to work with.
Also started to strenghthen the door last night.
Now I'm down to putting trim on the door, mounting the door, and filling in the holes by the trim with some small pieces of ply. Can't wait to stack this thing up and see how the canopy and stand look together!