Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Yea, post your findings. The meanwells confuse the crap outta me. I think its probably cheaper to get the power supply and driver separate.

24V, 1.8A POTRANS POWER SUPPLY-MPJA, Inc.
3023-D-E-1000P Wired BuckPuck - LED Supply.com

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Shipping is going to cause more cost though than one meanwell.

I will hope for a good answer from nanotuners, and will post it here.
Anyone here have experience with the meanwells? Maybe that evil led guy will know? Anyone a member of the forum he frequents?

I may add another 6500k led for a little chaeto ball I have sitting in the AquaClear 20. Without it, that chaeto is going to get sad quick!

Matt

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Quick question, awhile ago I was thinking about doing one of these with a laptop power supply, and I was wondering.. if I use a switching power supply, and lets say there are a few extra volts/amps at the end of a string, do I still need a resistor there, or does the switching power supply make it unnecessary?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Shipping is going to cause more cost though than one meanwell.

I will hope for a good answer from nanotuners, and will post it here.
Anyone here have experience with the meanwells? Maybe that evil led guy will know? Anyone a member of the forum he frequents?

I may add another 6500k led for a little chaeto ball I have sitting in the AquaClear 20. Without it, that chaeto is going to get sad quick!

Matt
I have a username for nano-reefs. If you post your question in entirety, i can repost it there.

Krap, thats a good question, its something i was wondering too. The link posted earlier in this, the guy uses 5 LEDs for a 24v PS. Im not sure if he added anything or not to the end.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright guys, one question. Why not wire the LEDs in parallel rather than in series? All computer power supplies have a regulated 5v output (it's the red wires), so you could easily go from that. Some computer power supplies even have 3.3v outputs (although at very low amperages). As long as the power supply has power to spare, aka it can deliver the needed amperage to drive the LEDs, you can put as many as you want in parallel.

I just don't see the benefit of putting them in series... I mean it might be a little bit easier, but definitely not as efficient. (I think)
EDIT: It's so they all receive the same amperage... got it... I still think it'd be easier in parallel with some resistors...

Besides, most computer power supplies can deliver up to 20ish amps at 5v. If you drove let's say a Royal_Blue Cree XR-E at it's MAX current, you could put 20 of them there... That's a whole lot of LEDs. Also, most (newer) computer power supplies are switching power supplies, meaning they're efficient.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Just my educated guess, but i don't think a lot of drivers were designed to be run in parallel. I think a constant and nonfluctuating amperage is pretty important to the lifetime and efficiency of the LEDs as well. I have never seen any run in parallel so i'm assuming there is a pretty good reason not to.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh I wasn't talking about using a driver. And yes, you are correct that constant non fluctuating current is important for the lifetime of the LEDs, but I dunno, I just think it'd be easier to run them in parallel with resistors lol.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think i would feel comfortable running a string without a regulated amperage. I know in theory it is supposed to split evenly in parallel, just doesnt seem concrete enough. I would be curious if you could prove that its more efficient though, its worth looking into.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think it'd be a bad idea. I mean (going along the computer power supply idea here), computer PSUs are VERY well regulated. They're powering hundred dollar components in your computer right now. That's a bit more demanding than a few LEDs. I don't know, I'll look into it and let you know.

Wow that didn't take long. I think the "key" is using "series-parallel" arrays. Check out the PDF I found...

EDIT: Oh... well.. apparently that PDF concludes that series parallel arrays are useless haha Good read nonetheless.

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/6615611.pdf

I should really research more before I speak. Apparently LEDs in parallel are really bad at sharing current and they don't automatically match in brightness and color etc. Ones in series do... hmmm
Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
I don't know.. maybe it has something to do with the whole more current=more resistance? That's why they run high voltage/alternating current. It just feels better to have 5 leds in a series than 5 leds in parallel. :P

Tags
2.5 gallon, led, led lighting, light, lighting, pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com