Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I better understand what he was describing by parallel. He is going to run series strings off the same power supply. That should be fine, 100% if I do understand him clearly. Thats totally different than running individual LEDs in parallel to OTHER LEDs.

I believe I am almost ready to order. I will get my heatsinks from ebay, as heatsinkusa.com wants to charge me some sorta $5.00 fee for cutting, which turns a $15.00 heatsink into $20.00. Thats BS in my opinion! Especially for a normally stocked item/size!

Aluminum bar stock and acrylic will hold it all together.

On a side note, I am planning the scale up for my 20g. Measures 24in long, 13in wide and about 16in tall. Any idea how many LEDs id need for that? I was thinking about 18. That would be three rows of 6. Two dimmable drivers, one for each color for full color mixing. Id want to keep my SPS and clams in it under LED lighting... I may also use a microcontroller for running the whole thing. Might as well, as thats whats left for me to do before I get my electrical engineering degree! (microcontrollers, not reef tank, ahah)

Matt

Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

My turn to hijack.

Im looking at doing led's for a 10gal ill be switching out and using it for a smaller "frag" tank for in the bedroom. Im looking at running about 15led's (if this sounds like to little lmk as i havnt had much experience with the CREE XRE Led's Could I run ~9white and 6 blues running 2 this meanwell both on dimmable controllers. Is their anything else im missing? Can I run a regular power plug cord to power the unit to regulate the voltage for my series? Should I add more Led's?

Any Input to keep the costs down yet still have the same function?

Thanks Kristall

Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #43
AA Team Emeritus

For a 10g, 15 LEDs is going to be more then enough. Probably even way too much. 10 is going to be enough, possibly less. Are you looking looking to upgrade tanks soon?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

well i got the 55gal tank downstairs with a 250mh bulb for everything else. just wanted to look into a smaller tank for my personal room that didnt give off as much heat and less volume. Should I just get 6white 4 blue and run the different colors on different meanwells with the dimmer?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

I would go equal of both and have dimming drivers on both. You are pretty limited when you set in the 6 and 4 like that with the W/B contrast.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

So just go 5w 5b or 6w 6b depending on how im going to go about the space and just dim them down to the corals liking. Would I need that big of a meanwell to supply 6 leds? would i just use a regular power cord into the meanwell?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Its easier to run them in series of 6, the voltage drops off almost completely, which means less heat coming back to your drivers. I don't know much about the meanwells, but if you are driving more then one set of lights, its cheaper to buy one power supply (mpja.com) and two separate drivers (ledsupply.com)
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would It be possible to run them off a Laptop Power supply? I have one off a dead Laptop thats output is 19v at 4.74a. Assuming im using 3.3v led's id only beable to run 5 leds off the psu correct? ill look more into the power supply and drivers. How big of a Psu do you think id need to run 12 Led's?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
If you have 1 string, you'd need a ~40V power supply (it needs to be able to supply at least 800ma. Two strings of 6, you'd need a 20V power supply that can give 1.6A. I was planning to use a laptop power supply, but I want to avoid that extra heat at the end (extra voltage, in your case ~2.5v) I'm still not sure about the switching power supply, but I talked to someone about a year ago that said that's how you avoid needing resistors at the end of the string.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #50
AA Team Emeritus

That power supply would work fine for driving all 10. As long as you do them in 2 series of 5.

A 24v power supply would be enough to run 12. You need ~4v per LED in series. all you would need is 24v and 1.5a to run several strands of 6.

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
2.5 gallon, led, led lighting, light, lighting, pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com