Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

well it looks like it would just be easier to go the psu/driver way instead of getting 2 meanwells. So il lbe getting 6 white and 6 blue. one set on a 3023-D-E-1000mA Wired BuckPuck. Powerd by Power.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good news, nanotuners responded that the 30-27D meanwell will indeed work with 5-6 CREE XR-E Leds. The guy that responded uses it himself with 5-6 CREE leds, so it will work well...

I guess I will go ahead and place an order. Too bad their heatsinks are quite pricey. It would be nice to save on shipping.

Now I must find a heatsink that will work. Doesnt need to be that beefy, just large enough to hold these leds and easy enough to drill some holes for the standoffs (acrylic splash guard).

Any ideas other than heatsinkusa.com?

Matt

Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does it need to look pretty? if not. Piece of metal to cover your area. and use thermal adhesive and put screw to the block. It works well..Some people have used it in heatsinks for their smaller controllers on their motherboards.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristall-99 View Post
Does it need to look pretty? if not. Piece of metal to cover your area. and use thermal adhesive and put screw to the block. It works well..Some people have used it in heatsinks for their smaller controllers on their motherboards.
This is what I was wondering as well...I may not really need active cooling to keep the LEDs happy. A heatsink with fins (pricey) may not be required for 5 LEDs. Even at full power, the heatsink would be dissipating 15W minus whatever power is converted into light.

If they do need some active cooling, I might just bite the bullet and get two of these:
Nanotuners.com

Would wind up paying that much with shipping anyways...If I did this method, I would want to use 6 LEDs and have the LEDs arranged so that there would be a front row and back row. Whites in the front and blues in the back. So, two rows of three all in series. Sound okay?
BBB
Two inch spacing...

Im guessing with a tank this small, just about anything will work due to the large divergeance of the LEDs...

Matt
Old 06-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

It will probably be alright, you will probably be able to tell the difference from the sides or at an angle, but straight on it should look nice. How much is shipping from heatsinkUSA that ordering from nanotuners makes it worth it?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
It will probably be alright, you will probably be able to tell the difference from the sides or at an angle, but straight on it should look nice. How much is shipping from heatsinkUSA that ordering from nanotuners makes it worth it?
HeatsinkUSA wants like $7.50 plus another $5.00 cut fee. That cut fee is idiotic. So its going to be $27.00 for a 4.3in by 8in piece of aluminum.

Its like McDonalds charging you to put the food in the bag. Its their product and I cannot go to their place and cut it. Sheesh! Their product is an 8in long by 4in wide aluminum heatsink. I dont understand why I have to pay $5.00 for them to go whack and cut it off their extrusion.

Matt
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it is going to look a bit odd, then thats a deal breaker for me. I am a stickler for things like that. Especially when spending $100+ on something, so I may figure out something else...Im sure I can find something on ebay that will suit my needs.

Matt
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #58
AA Team Emeritus

I could be wrong, but it seems like you would be able to tell.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems like you would be able to tell.
Hmmm...Maybe I ought to get some paper, pencil, and my calculator to work out how the light should be cast. You said these LEDs have a divergeance angle of about 100deg, right? Using some Trig, I ought to be able to figure out how the light will be cast from each LED...

Matt
Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #60
AA Team Emeritus

http://ledsupply.com/docs/cree-xre.pdf

There is some more technical data there, The whites are typically 90 and the blues 100. Post up your diagram if you make one, it would be a good learning visual.

EDIT: Don't forget to take into account the refraction when it enters the water and how high off the water they will be. Thats going to be the hard part

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
2.5 gallon, led, led lighting, light, lighting, pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com