20 gallon setup from the ground up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided I'm gonna get into SW finally so thought why not turn the entire thing into a build.. ill be updating this thread weekly for probably the next 2 months

So first things first the stand frame

View attachment 60356

The finished picture isn't finished only holes pre drilled into the top but fits so nicely it'll stay on its own..ill screw it together when I get a new bit getting tired of this old one stripping screws lol

Next thing on the list will be the oak finish and trim which ill grab tomorrow or Friday so ill update this weekend

Just got back from lowes with the plywood and trim but gotta go back to work in like 10 mins so ill start prepping the frame when I get home and hopefully start staining some stuff before I go back to work tonight

Tagging along as well. Not that it probably needs it beings how its only a 20gallon, but a second 2x4 outside the set you have would make it sturdier and help with stability. Course you'll deal with the stability issues with the oak skin as well.

Ya I thought about that but I can stand on any board and it ain't going nowhere but it did cross my mind to put a 1x2 on each side to give the oak a lil more reinforcement so anytime it gets moved I don't have to worry as much about cracking it if I bump something....almost home though so ill update when there is more news lol

Let my GF stain the frame next will be the panels

Got most of the panels stained so now just need to get a couple more things squared up and ill start putting it together.. off to bed though gotta be up at 4 :/

Bad news : / ... my GF shook the can of stain for the frame instead of stirring it and now it won't dry right so before I do anything else I have to sand the frame and get the layer of oils off of it... this is why I tend to do everything on my own. then the only person to blame is me lol

Got the side panels and top together and the bottom shelf cut next will be to cut the back panels access

So what do you guys think should the trim be dark or blonde the panels are red mahogany... I was originally gonna go dark but after seeing it starting to come together I'm thinking a lighter look would make the panels pop a lil more... all opinions would be great especially a picture or two ;)

Finished the trim and front panel all that's left is to cut access holes,stain, and fit back panel then on to plumbing....the last few photos I tried to show how I get inside the cabinet..the front panel slides up and out....so what does everyone think so far?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Looks great! I love the contrast.

Thank you,very nice to hear :) .... I was thinking about a black trim but figured ill go light and if I decide to go dark I can just go over it since I couldn't go dark to light without sanding

No lol I'm gonna use a 20H but I am gonna build the sump underneath and a canopy to match. like the title says I'm building this from the ground up lol ... I will be however starting another build for a 56 gallon pentagon corner tank also from the ground up including the acrylic tank

Nice job! I originally didn't like the idea of the blond trim on the mahogany, but after seeing it, I have to say it looks pretty good. I like how you covered the bottom plastic strip on the tank and assume you will also do that on the canopy.

Cabinet entry idea is interesting, although I do have some concern about humidity effects inside the stand, especially if you run an open sump. Just something to think about ~ maybe a ventilation fan? Salt creep may also become an issue down the road, making it difficult to slide that panel out. Again, just thinking out loud so to speak. Nice job on the build thus far.

Back
Top Bottom