20g Long Divided Tank & Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ownedbycats

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a 20 gallon long tank and am planning to divide it into a 5 gallon section and a 15 gallon section. I have bought GE type 1 silicone for windows and doors to glue the divider in place, and then will start work on the background.
The tank I got is a Top Fin aquarium and the plastic frame keeps the bootom glass from sitting flat on the wood surface. Should I put some spare styrofoam under the tank so the glass is resting directly on something, not with air underneath it?

Are you planning on putting a substrate in there? If so perhaps rest it on egg crate ?

I remember reading about this when I first got my largest tank. Tanks are designed in such a way that the outside edges take all the load. The middle of the bottom bit of glass doesn't need to be supported, only around the edges. A lot of tank stands are actually hollow in the middle. If the tank is on a flat surface it is a good idea to have styrofoam under it to stop any grit between the glass and stand putting pressure on the glass ultimately cracking it.

Thanks, I thought I read something like that, but I couldn't find it again. Fortunately I have lots of left over styrofoam to slide under the tank.

Back
Top Bottom