Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

210 Upgrade Build

Well I'm starting to get the plans and ideas together for the upgrade to the 210. Here are a few pics of what the tank will look like. These are not to scale but you will get the general idea. Lots to do now!!

View from the hallway where the 72 is now. The wood panels on the tank in this view will cover the overflows to give a nice clean look. They will be removable (I'm thinking velcro) so I can see what's gonig on in the overflows if I need to.

View from the kitchen area, the hole is going to be a peek through. Below the hold I will have my fuge and above I'll have a shelf for my ballasts.

View from the new living area.

I would love to hear some feed back on this. When I get the area cleaned out I will take a few pics so you can see what I'm working with. Basically a blank slate!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why not a center overflow and build the reef around it?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Because I would have to have it custom made and that cost way too much money. I've checked....
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Sliced Bread

I really like the peeky-poo (I believe you called it), but is there a reason for it? Why not leave that side of tank open completely (i.e. the "wall" would end at the end of the tank, rather than have more drywall there). Could maybe use a longer tank even.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I would love to do that. The problem is this is a basement that the tank is going in and in order to do what I want the way I want I have to either have the end of the tank 8.5' from the wall or build a wall and put a peeky-poo in it. Directly above the 7.5' mark is a large pipe for the plumbing. The basement isn't completely finished and I can't move that pipe. I have to either build around it or avoid it. I don't wan that pipe going through my wood canopy so I decided to do the wall at the end of the tank with a peeky-poo to see the end of the tank. The pipe will not be as noticable going through a wall rather then an oak canopy.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

What's the deal with the 2 vertical pcs of wood at the front of the tank?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Those are to cover up the overflows.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
That's probably an AGA/Aqueon tank with those center overflows. Check out the Perfecto CornerFlo. The oveflows built into the corners is really nice.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I looked at the corner overflows but I like the look of the panels spaced on the tank. The corner overlfows would look strange doing it the way I want. That and I'm getting an AWESOME deal on the 210 AGA RR tank!!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So the verdict is still out on the reflectors. I've decided to go with 3 250W MH with VHO/T5 actinics. I've been looking at the new Lumenbrigt Minis I like the size and the amount of reflectivaty they provide. Also they would work out well with the lighting rack that I'm building.

I've found an actuater that I can use to raise and lower the lighting rack with the touch of a button. From my calculations I will have about 1.5' clearance above the tank when the lights are raised, and I will still have the benefit of the full lighting on the tank to see what I'm doing.

I'm ordering the tank this weekend and should have it in a month. I have a lot of work to do in the next 4 weeks to get ready for it. I'm going to have a custom sump built for the tank as well that will pretty much use up the entire space beneath the tank. I'm going to have the tank 42" off the ground so I will have lots of room under it for equipment.

I've ordered my calcium reactor and I've decided to go with a sequence pump just haven't decided which model yet.

Thats about as far as I am at this point. Well other then the fact that I now have my 72 crammed so full of new corals that I don't have room for much else.

Lowes is going to love me this weekend.

Tags
build, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com