210 Upgrade Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I'm starting to get the plans and ideas together for the upgrade to the 210. Here are a few pics of what the tank will look like. These are not to scale but you will get the general idea. Lots to do now!!

View from the hallway where the 72 is now. The wood panels on the tank in this view will cover the overflows to give a nice clean look. They will be removable (I'm thinking velcro) so I can see what's gonig on in the overflows if I need to.
tank1cmediumzz8.jpg

View from the kitchen area, the hole is going to be a peek through. Below the hold I will have my fuge and above I'll have a shelf for my ballasts.
tank1amediumrd8.jpg

View from the new living area.
tank1amediumrd8.jpg

I would love to hear some feed back on this. When I get the area cleaned out I will take a few pics so you can see what I'm working with. Basically a blank slate! :D

I really like the peeky-poo (I believe you called it), but is there a reason for it? Why not leave that side of tank open completely (i.e. the "wall" would end at the end of the tank, rather than have more drywall there). Could maybe use a longer tank even.

Well I would love to do that. The problem is this is a basement that the tank is going in and in order to do what I want the way I want I have to either have the end of the tank 8.5' from the wall or build a wall and put a peeky-poo in it. Directly above the 7.5' mark is a large pipe for the plumbing. The basement isn't completely finished and I can't move that pipe. I have to either build around it or avoid it. I don't wan that pipe going through my wood canopy so I decided to do the wall at the end of the tank with a peeky-poo to see the end of the tank. The pipe will not be as noticable going through a wall rather then an oak canopy.

Those are to cover up the overflows.....

That's probably an AGA/Aqueon tank with those center overflows. Check out the Perfecto CornerFlo. The oveflows built into the corners is really nice.

I looked at the corner overflows but I like the look of the panels spaced on the tank. The corner overlfows would look strange doing it the way I want. That and I'm getting an AWESOME deal on the 210 AGA RR tank!!

So the verdict is still out on the reflectors. I've decided to go with 3 250W MH with VHO/T5 actinics. I've been looking at the new Lumenbrigt Minis I like the size and the amount of reflectivaty they provide. Also they would work out well with the lighting rack that I'm building.

I've found an actuater that I can use to raise and lower the lighting rack with the touch of a button. From my calculations I will have about 1.5' clearance above the tank when the lights are raised, and I will still have the benefit of the full lighting on the tank to see what I'm doing.

I'm ordering the tank this weekend and should have it in a month. I have a lot of work to do in the next 4 weeks to get ready for it. I'm going to have a custom sump built for the tank as well that will pretty much use up the entire space beneath the tank. I'm going to have the tank 42" off the ground so I will have lots of room under it for equipment.

I've ordered my calcium reactor and I've decided to go with a sequence pump just haven't decided which model yet.

Thats about as far as I am at this point. Well other then the fact that I now have my 72 crammed so full of new corals that I don't have room for much else.

Lowes is going to love me this weekend.

Tell me more about the actuatr you found. I might try doing that on my 125. Right now my light fixture is on legs. I have the ceiling mounting kit, but I really want to be able to raise the fixture for maintenance.

I like the layout and overflow covers.

Sounds pretty cool. Probably will be great for viewing, but definitely need a ladder to get into the tank for maintainence. Hope you have long arms too. ;)
You must have high ceilings. 42" stand + 29" tank height and your at around 6' to the top of the tank. Reflectors 10-12" above the water + 16" depth of the reflector and you're close to 9' for the top of the reflector.
I would also suggest going with 400w MH for that deep of a tank. 250 is cutting it close.
I bet you can't wait to get started. Me and Lowe's/HD got to be real friendly too.

The tank will actually sit 2" below the top of the stand so the top of the tank will be at 70". I'll have 30" to work with above that. The main reason the tank will be so high is to allow a couch to sit infront of it in the living area.

I don't want 400w bulbs on the tank that would be over kill. My 72 is 23" tall and the 175w MHs are 12" off the surface and I can grow SPS at the bottom of the tank so I think 250s with good reflectors should work out just fine on the tank.

The owner of the LFS that I go to all the time has the same tank in his house with 3 250s and his growth is amazing.

lol **** the holding pattern! i wanna see this thing come together, i cant imagine how you feel if im this excited....

haha you know i dont have to tell her, shes always looking. By the way thanks for conspiring with my family for my b-day present, i think its gonna turn out really sweet.

Back
Top Bottom