220 Gal/DIY Canopy Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All -

I am about to order a 72" x 24" x 30" tank that I plan to use as a FOWLR tank. I am very confident in my ability to build a stand and I am confident in the carpentry side of building an enclosed top canpoy but I can't decide on the best way to light the tank.
I'd sure appreciate any photos/thoughts/product recommendations on "retro" light systems. I'd almost prefer to light it close to the level of a reef tank - just because I like the way that looks. Ideally, I'd like a set up operated on timers with moon lighting as well. ' any photos out there??

Thanks all

What do you like about reef lighting? Are you referring to the shimmer? Maybe some cheap LED units would work for you. You don't want to have a big electric bill just to look at fish, so you might factor in efficiency also. I just started a 265 reef and my electric bill went up a hundred dollars a month. Just a FYI.

Thanks for the LED advice - I'd love to see any photos of canopies folks have made. I'm curious about their height, how the lights are installed - are they attached to the canopy - or do they sit on the glass tank top, etc?

Check out my build thread think page 3. I have pictures of my canopy. It sits on my aquarium.

Yea that is the light. It's good for fish only but now I am moving to reef so it lacks a little. The canopy sits on top of the tank. The light I just ran a board on each side of the canopy to hold the light. My light sits about 8-12 inches above the water. The canopy is 24 inches high. If you want detailed pictures I can take some tonight if you like.

Very simple a box with two doors with a very small brace in the center. Like a 2inch by 1inch brace that was mainly there to be able to carry it easily. I also ran a 1 by 1 along the back of the canopy to clip by cooling fans.

I use to use a timer now I have an apex jr that I can control my lights, pumps, fans from my phone or anywhere on the Internet. Apex jr cost about 149.00.

Thanks again - I'm planning a similar canopy but I just wasn't sure if the lights would best be attached to the inside top of the canopy or attached in some other way. My tank will be 24" wide - so, I was thinking of maybe 2 of the fixtures that you have. I've just started on the stand - so, I still have some time until I get to the canopy to figure things out completely

I designed mine so that a light fixture could set on the interior lip of the canopy frame. However the last light I bought I decided to hang it in the canopy instead. I used aluminum square rod, to make a hanger and it sits into recesses notched into the frame (added vertical supports at those places also). It easily lifts out for maintenance and bulb changes.

Lights sat on bottom 1x2 frame originally.
img_1760647_0_230ed25df90213325d1a6349951964ad.jpg

New fixture in same canopy using different method.
img_1760647_1_acdd835468d7c62f2c1bbb6add793bee.jpg

Crazycajun: ' on your timer: I was looking at Marineland's website and it looks like the unit only has a single electrical cord and then the 2 lighting modes (daylight and night/blue) are controlled with a switch. My question is: does your timer run the fixtures so that they go from to daylight to night/blue automatically? Or it does the timer just turn it on/off based on however you have the switches set? (Sorry if that doesn't make sense)

For fish only lighting is only for your viewing pleasure. For the 72 inch. I would try to put 4 or 5. To start.

Back
Top Bottom