224g aquarium filtration ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok in short. DO I need and if so what size sump for a 224g acrylic aquarium?

Im getting a 224 acrylic aquarium that needs finishing work on the stand and the ppl started sanding it but have stopped due to a moving situation. So I have some polishing and finishing work to do on the stand at first. But then my house will have a 224g empty aquarium. So... With that thought in mind. And the project work going to take maby a week or 2(I hope).

Im thinking about using a sump. But not sure if I need it or if I should just use canisters. Im clueless when it comes to sumps. I know it pulls water down from the overflow box and a pump sends it back to the tank. But there is a part of me that is afraid of them and thinks it will end up flooding me home. Can someone help me on this new project. I will post pics and current events when I get started. Thanks.

I think I need a Sumps for dumbbells book.

BTW its going to be a freshwater cichlid tank. And I dont over crowd my tanks.

Also... Is there a way I can use a canister filter as the pump? :) hehee just thinking.

In my 90 gal saltwater tank I run a 30 gal sump with fuge for oxygen and nutrient export as well as a canister filter. With your size tank I would run a sump so you can plant it for oxygen and the thing with cichlids they are messy so I'd run a canister also IMO size wise id build a sump as big as the space allowed. I wouldn't go no less than 50-75gal tho incase power outage don't want any spills

wow, really? OMG. Thats a larger sump then I was thinking. I was looking at youtube at DIY sumps and ppl were using the plastic totes/bins. But I think that if I were to make my own sump the size of the tanks used as a sump are larger then the room I may have under the stand. The depth from front to back that is. hmmmm.... :banghead:

If the stands inside distentions are not 18" because of 2x4's am I out of luck on the sump idea? Or do I have to build a tank myself that would fit. Im sorry. I have so many questions regarding sumps. ANd dont know ware to go for answers. Thanks for all your help though.

I was just thinking of one of them plywood aquariums some ppl have built. Im sure a wood box with blue liquid rubber coated inside would be easy enough. You think? Or do I need to be able to see through the sides?

U would get the big ones not the small ones lol like 2- 95 quart totes preferably clear and plumb them with PVC. 2-95 quarts is approx 50 gal and if space allows you can always get a third one same size or the next size down

image-3374472453.jpg

Back
Top Bottom