280 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me tell ya,,when i get my monster tank...its fish only all the way ,,multiple angels,tangs and triggers ,,best fish ever IMO...
What are the dims??Is it 6 or 8 feet long...either way its absolutely awesome(y)...we need an envious smiley ,,so i can insert it here:lol:

I would be too...
thanks for the dims ,and the thread....I'm going on CL now!!Thing is i'm willing to drive 3 hours,,just can't find any moster tanks..nothing bigger than 225's

Yeah, I drove 4 hours to get this one! A 225 sounds like a decent size.. If it was cheap.

Thought that ppl may like to see what is going into this tank. These Parrots are about 10 years old, and the Large Black/Grey ones are around 8. I forgot what kind of chiclid they are but anyways.. they are monster fish!

Those DA grey ones are trying to eat bubbles created my the filter. They are such hogs they are trying to eat bubbles! LOL

Anyone know what kind of chiclid they are?

Attachments

• photo13.jpg
    photo13.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 102
  • photo14.jpg
    photo14.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 121
Very nice ,,i like parrots ..i started out with red devils then red bellies then black and a gold rhom ...thats 15 years ago...

yeah ,,i have a 125 now and i'm really looking for something really big..8 foot x 2 foot ,,or something nice and deep like you have would be nice too...
Those guys are going to love their new home...i think they live for a long time too...my on rhom was16 years old and about a foot long when it died

Still kinda miss it

I think a freshwater tank that big would be great. You have a lot of options....a ton of options

Yeah What got me started on Parrots what when I was a small kid my mom bought me a parrot for Valentines day Named him Stanley and he lived almost 15 years! Was a sad day when he passed. That was many moons ago.

I may be wrong but as I understand it a sump is a filter, more specifically a wet/dry filter. Being able to house things like heater, skimmer and thermometer in there is an added bonus.
I don't know if your sump has dividers in there but that's what you'll need in order to get mechanical filtration. (without the dividers that guides the water you'll have a refugium, that's something not classified a filter and commonly used in marine tanks for various reasons.) You add mechanical filter media into those chambers and the water is forced to pass over is as it passes through the sump.
There are more specific threads on this topic with pictures and DIY instructions.

For freshwater Matrix is one of the better filter media.

By the way, I'm very jealous of your tank ;) just thought I would let you know

Ausfish said:
By the way, I'm very jealous of your tank ;) just thought I would let you know

As am I. I want it bad and its. Very nice. What was the cost of the tank if you don't mind me asking

Thanks!

I finally got the missing bulkhead today! Yipiee!

She is up and running now! Off to get me some poly to make a filter..

How's this look? Inside green basket that's upside down is full of pot scrubbies. And of course the white is poly fill...

Attachments

• image-1865762847.jpg
    image-1865762847.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 137
  • image-361872364.jpg
    image-361872364.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
Oh that didn't work out. I changed it and used a shallow rubbermaid container and got a giant filter pad that fit into the container. The pics are in the other post about my filter.

That pic is only half of the sump. The other half is empty.

I'd use a drip plate and standard "bioballs" just like in a SW wet/dry filter. Maybe some aquaclear or fluval foam as a prefilter. You can also throw some powerhead adaptable spong filters in the sump to filter out wee particulates - or just use it as a fry tank and make sure they don't get sucked into the return pump!

Nice tank - I wish All Glass still made the 8x2x2 240, but an 8x3 tank is awesome! Keep it freshwater and represent!

Its all doing very well, My fish are loving it!
I still have to build the canopy, Ive gotten side tracked with salty tank.
Here's a pic of the happy family.

Attachments

• IMG_0195[1].jpg
    IMG_0195[1].jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom