Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
yes to both. Just for info if you ever see say a deck that was put together with nails you'll notice the nails working there way out of the boards thats why noone uses them anymore so if there is any sway in the stand they could possible loosen up. They wouldn't fall out but the stand won't be as stable
I can see where you are coming from, but in my personal experience nails that are ribbed on the lower portions are just as strong as screws. This also goes for some smooth shank nails. Trying to pull some out I have pulled the nail through 2◊ material.
If the nails can come loose then why wouldn't houses be held together with screws instead?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Decks are exposed to temperature and humidity fluctuations; insulated houses not as much. But nail pop can occur in houses as well.
I'd go with screws and pre-drilled holes, but that's my preference. If I'm going through the effort of setting proper angles and alignment of the pieces of wood, for me driving a screw is less disruptive than swinging a hammer. Plus, if you've ever had to take it apart for some reason (not just the stand but projects in general) much simpler process.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Was going to use a nail gun to drive the nails, kinda why I'm leaning towards nails. Draw back to that is a box of gun nails compared to a box of 16d nails is alot of money. Have to do more online shopping on the fun nails though before I rule them out.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Going with #8◊2" screws. Have decided on almost everything except which finishing nails to use for the siding.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Will start framing the stand Monday. One nice thing about having little projects going around is 30" 2◊4 are common. Will post pictures when I start building. This is how I am going to frame it out. https://youtu.be/f4dm4s4TOPQ corners where giving me a hard time but this should work.
Thoughts?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Will start framing the stand Monday. One nice thing about having little projects going around is 30" 2◊4 are common. Will post pictures when I start building. This is how I am going to frame it out. https://youtu.be/f4dm4s4TOPQ corners where giving me a hard time but this should work.
Thoughts?

Nice video. Exactly how I would have framed it out.
What footprint do you plan on making it? 30"x12"? Or bigger? I have a 20g long which has the same footprint as a 29g and it would make sense to make the stand the same dimensions. However, aside from making it taller, I'm not getting a big increase in cabinet space. I was thinking about making it more like 32"x14" or 34"x16". That would give the stand a 1" or 2" perimeter around the tank. I would also place a sheet of plywood along the top.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was going to do 31"◊13" but the extra cabinet space sounds nice. Might have to just make it 34"◊14". Only problem is where I want to put it is only 28" wide.
Between the window trim is 28", a 31" stand would probably be the wides I could go. Could also go 31"◊16" for some extra depth.

Note the windows almost always have the blinds closed on them so extra sunlight shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Decided on 31"◊13" because I remembered I am going to have the siding cover the black trim. Having the ledge would be nice, but it would just be another place for me to put stuff.

Would using wood glue be overkill on the frame?

Tomorrow's plan is to start and hopefully finish the framework.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
Decided on 31"◊13" because I remembered I am going to have the siding cover the black trim. Having the ledge would be nice, but it would just be another place for me to put stuff.

Would using wood glue be overkill on the frame?

Tomorrow's plan is to start and hopefully finish the framework.

I understand on the ledge and a place for collecting things (including dust).
How tall will the stand be?
Not sure if it would be overkill. I would defer that to Brookster.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

29" tall...unless my cuts are off in that case I will make it 28"

Tags
29 gallon, build, diy, diy stand, gallon, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com