29 gallon DIY stand build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
29" tall...unless my cuts are off in that case I will make it 28"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The stand I want to replace is 30" tall which is too short IMO. I want to make the new one it 34-36" or higher. Mostly for more space in the cabinet but also for easier viewing.
The 30" tall one will move into a bedroom and replace a stand that is only 26" tall. Height is not so much of an issue in there. The shame is that the 26" stand was bought on a whim a few years ago because I was impatient and the fact I paid over $100 for a open front, particle board laden stand infuriates me. The only nice thing about it was that I was able to slap on a pair of decent looking maple cabinet doors (which will go on the new stand).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For a 20L like yours a taller stand wouldn't be an issue, but mine has the same footprint and 18 inches tall. Its really top heavy

Just on the "nails vs screws" topic, if I built houses with pre drilled holes and screws I'd never make any money, too time consuming and expensive, have u ever bought a piece o furniture that required construction? They don't come with nails.. Furniture and houses are completely different. You said you want to do it right, use the screws..

Have the top and bottom pieces made. Next step is the corners. Coming along slowly, and will have pictures soon.

Finally picture time

Top and bottom pieces

50% done with frame. 2 more 2×4s in the corners and 1 in the back will finish it off....maybe

For a 20L like yours a taller stand wouldn't be an issue, but mine has the same footprint and 18 inches tall. Its really top heavy

Looking good so far.
I forgot about the extra height of the 29g. A third reason I'll probably make it wider/deeper is for the added stability.

No more adjustments to be made...not going to/can't take the stand apart. Used screws on the precision fits and nails on the rest. The short 2×4s supporting the tank are nailed, and there is 1 nail in the 29" 2×4s. The 29"ers wouldn't suck down so I had to use a nail to hold it and then screws to really hold it. Well that and the screws where just driving me nuts.

Here it is when I was told to stop making so much noise. I don't know what my dad was talking about :whistle:
Tomorrow I have to add the 29"(notched out) and a 22" piece in a corner.

Done...well with the frame.

Side/front view

Back view

Top view

Doesn't look like much now, but for just over a days work not to shabby!
I'm going to use 1×5 on the top to give the tank a flat surface to sit on, I tried making the 2×4s perfectly even, but some are slightly lower

Edit-removed the inside middle brace and just toe-nailed the outer 2×4.

I ended up leaving the stand as is and using it in my basement for storage. If I where to build another stand I would use 1×4 and wrap it in 3/4" plywood for strength. The 2×4 frame was overkill and didn't leave enough room on the inside for my filter and co2 tank.

Thanks for the info. Wondered if it was overkill, maybe I will use your idea and cut back on 2x4's. Thinking I could wrap it in 1/4" finish board and put doors on it with a shelf on the inside...??

Look at commercial cabinet stands and emulate them. My 75 gallon is on 1x4's wrapped with 1/2" ply. 1/4" ply should work but doesn't give you a lot of room to nail/screw into, that's why I said I'd use 3/4" ply in the future ;)

Back
Top Bottom