29 gallon DIY stand build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few questions on the workings of my stand before I build it.

1. Do I need a center brace? The tank does have a rim

2. 2×4's and 16 penny nails will for for a frame correct?

3. For the siding corners should I do miter corners or corner boards?

I want to build the stand just luke my current metal stand, but with the addition of tounge&groove siding, a shelf, and doors.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any opinions on this? This is the first stand I will be building and want to do it right.

I have a friend drawing out the stand for me. I can make the cuts, but not so good at drawing things. I will post when I get the drawing from him.
Any input is still greatly appreciated!

Why would you say that? Not trying to be mean about it.

Fair enough. 3 inch screws should do the job you think? Also predrill the holes?

yes to both. Just for info if you ever see say a deck that was put together with nails you'll notice the nails working there way out of the boards thats why noone uses them anymore so if there is any sway in the stand they could possible loosen up. They wouldn't fall out but the stand won't be as stable

Check out some of the DIY stand videos on YouTube... There's some pretty impressive stuff.

For a 29 gal I don't think you'll need a center brace. Just make sure the bottom rim sits completely on the frame. Are you going to put a plywood top on it?

As far as the corners, do what you think looks best. It is your tank after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't think I need a plywood top. The tank only sits on the black frame. If I have that frame sitting on the 2x4 it should be good.

yes to both. Just for info if you ever see say a deck that was put together with nails you'll notice the nails working there way out of the boards thats why noone uses them anymore so if there is any sway in the stand they could possible loosen up. They wouldn't fall out but the stand won't be as stable

I can see where you are coming from, but in my personal experience nails that are ribbed on the lower portions are just as strong as screws. This also goes for some smooth shank nails. Trying to pull some out I have pulled the nail through 2× material.
If the nails can come loose then why wouldn't houses be held together with screws instead?

Decks are exposed to temperature and humidity fluctuations; insulated houses not as much. But nail pop can occur in houses as well.
I'd go with screws and pre-drilled holes, but that's my preference. If I'm going through the effort of setting proper angles and alignment of the pieces of wood, for me driving a screw is less disruptive than swinging a hammer. Plus, if you've ever had to take it apart for some reason (not just the stand but projects in general) much simpler process.

Was going to use a nail gun to drive the nails, kinda why I'm leaning towards nails. Draw back to that is a box of gun nails compared to a box of 16d nails is alot of money. Have to do more online shopping on the fun nails though before I rule them out.

Going with #8×2" screws. Have decided on almost everything except which finishing nails to use for the siding.

Will start framing the stand Monday. One nice thing about having little projects going around is 30" 2×4 are common. Will post pictures when I start building. This is how I am going to frame it out. https://youtu.be/f4dm4s4TOPQ corners where giving me a hard time but this should work.
Thoughts?

Will start framing the stand Monday. One nice thing about having little projects going around is 30" 2×4 are common. Will post pictures when I start building. This is how I am going to frame it out. https://youtu.be/f4dm4s4TOPQ corners where giving me a hard time but this should work.
Thoughts?

Nice video. Exactly how I would have framed it out.
What footprint do you plan on making it? 30"x12"? Or bigger? I have a 20g long which has the same footprint as a 29g and it would make sense to make the stand the same dimensions. However, aside from making it taller, I'm not getting a big increase in cabinet space. I was thinking about making it more like 32"x14" or 34"x16". That would give the stand a 1" or 2" perimeter around the tank. I would also place a sheet of plywood along the top.

I was going to do 31"×13" but the extra cabinet space sounds nice. Might have to just make it 34"×14". Only problem is where I want to put it is only 28" wide.
Between the window trim is 28", a 31" stand would probably be the wides I could go. Could also go 31"×16" for some extra depth.

Note the windows almost always have the blinds closed on them so extra sunlight shouldn't be an issue.

Decided on 31"×13" because I remembered I am going to have the siding cover the black trim. Having the ledge would be nice, but it would just be another place for me to put stuff.

Would using wood glue be overkill on the frame?

Tomorrow's plan is to start and hopefully finish the framework.

Decided on 31"×13" because I remembered I am going to have the siding cover the black trim. Having the ledge would be nice, but it would just be another place for me to put stuff.

Would using wood glue be overkill on the frame?

Tomorrow's plan is to start and hopefully finish the framework.

I understand on the ledge and a place for collecting things (including dust).
How tall will the stand be?
Not sure if it would be overkill. I would defer that to Brookster.

29" tall...unless my cuts are off in that case I will make it 28"

Back
Top Bottom