29G on a strengthened IKEA Trofast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muanis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm upgrading from a 5.5G to a 29G.

But I need to match the existing furniture. So I'm trying to strengthen the IKEA Trofast. I added some metal plates and 2x4 below it.

I imagine the loaded aquarium will weight around 250lbs.

I stepped in top of this (180lbs) and it didn't wiggle anything.

I'm wondering if I add around 300lbs of adults for about 5 minutes is enough to be sure it's safe enough?

All Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/g4CJe
g4CJe

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it could work, but I personally would go with a 20L for it to be on the safe side.

I stand with 3 other adults in a total of 700 pounds and it didnt wiggle, I believe about 250 lbs will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It scares me, with the way those boards are scored. There's what? 1" total width of wood supporting that?

Things hold up just find over a short time under load but things get weird when you're talking about long term weight on a structure.

If it were me I would cannibalize the ikea stand and DIY my own stand using ikea bits to make everything match. 29 gallons of water on the floor can do an obscene amount of damage.

Yes Mebbid. in total it's probably 2". But they're all very wide, so the weight is spread across it and after all it's compression so it's where the wood has it's peak resistance.

I'm studying how I can reinforce that. I can have a very strong base and top with 2x4 (on their side so it's more 4x2) that can sure hold the aquarium. But I have a problem on how to score the top. I can't use 2x4 on each corner (my wife ruled that out), I can use it on the back tough.

In the front I can reinforce with a 2x4 at about a book width into the frame, this would be a "leg" at about 2 inches into the aquarium edge. (I need to draw this).

I could also use some steel or aluminum Tslot for these legs. But that can drive costs really up.

Back
Top Bottom