Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. Good call on the extra boards for extra support.

Is that pine you used to skin the frame? Looks nice!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! Yes, I used 1 inch pine. Although it dents and scratches easily, it's very affordable and I love the look of it. I think I may to a combination of what I did for my current stand and yours with the corners. I'll have to think a little on how I want to piece it together, but I will have a center support, that way I can also have a seam for cabinet doors. I'll have the 2x4s on their 'sides' for the tank and floor.

My 29 gallon tank stand is still bare-bone. Although it had some trim, but when I moved it after building the current 75 I never re-decorated it. But I can't do too much with it because I have a 10 gallon under it for QT.

Boy, am I excited to build another stand!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did some drawing last night thinking about how I'd like to build the stand. Here's what I came up with.

Front and Side View

Top View

It has 2x6s for the corners and top edges, the bottom is 2x4, and there are 2x4s for bracing the corners. I will be using 90-deg. braces, too, for added strength.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are really good plans! I like them alot. I feel a lot better about those 2x6s than the 4x4s. I still have shivers about the night i came downstairs after one of the 4x4s warped and my whole tank crashed.

After thinking about my own frame, I wish I had decided to go with pine. I didn't realize it wasn't too expensive. I totally agree with you. Although pine dents and gets scratched easily, it has a lot more character to it. Next tank i think i'm definitely going that route. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Rick! Would you recommend I rebuild my current stand? It does have those additional 2x4s and I don't know how to move a tank with fish in it. I'm not opposed to rebuilding but would hope it's not necessary.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rebuilding your current stand is really up to you. That's going to be a lot of work to have to fix it up. I just shudder at 4x4s after my experience. If you have other 2x4s helping to bear the weight incase one warps, you should be ok. If you decide not to rebuild, i highly suggest to make sure to check those 4x4s as part of your regularly scheduled PWC. If you notice it warping, you can always rebuild then.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, and thanks for sharing that pine cabinet. It's really got my mind churning on the next future build.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm glad to hear that. When I get home I will search my computer for pictures of the build, I'm pretty sure I should hav some. I will at least post better looking pictures of the finished stand. My blackberry has horrible white balance so everything is usually tinted blue or colors are washed out.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great thanks! Would love to see pictures.

Tags
stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com