Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
3/4" Check Valve on Return?

I'm getting ready to finish up my sump setup and was cutting the return lines to size this morning when I started thinking about the check valve I bought. The line will be a 3/4" return run by a Seltz L 740gph pump at about 5'. The check vavle is spring loaded (it feels like it anyway). When actually pressing on the inner valve, to me anyway, it feels kinda' stiff. I'm wondering if that is going to hurt the pumps ability to return water or if I just don't know how much pressure the thing really outs out and it'll be fine. I don't know if I really need the check in the line but I was just over thinking the danger of a back flow even with a hole drilled at the top. Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't run a check valve on mine just the drilled hole. Actually, I have two drilled, one at the water line and one just below that just in case.

I turn off my sytem at least once a day usually and so far not a problem. I was worried that a check valve woudl fail so I didn't put one in.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
I ended up just returning it today and not sweating it. I figure it will just restrict flow if anything. The spray bar is just barely in the water surface so the siphon would break right away if there was a power failure. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah,I wouldn't have used a check valve,just something else to get blocked.Your spray bar is probably the best thing for an air break,cant see them holes ever all getting blocked at once!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com