3-D background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enviraMENTAL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
Trying to post a picture of the background I just completed for my 72 gal bf. If it's there, what do you think? It still has to cure, that's why there are no fish.

Attachments

• tank1__small_.jpg.jpg
    tank1__small_.jpg.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 279
  • tank3__small_.jpg.jpg
    tank3__small_.jpg.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 393
Pretty cool, what did you use to make it? Is it concrete. I've been thinking of doing something similar for an amphibian tank I have, though I want to make cliffs and ledges and places to pot plants. I have made live rock out of concrete, always fun. :p

HI
I used colored, sanded grout over an expanded polystyrene foam model. I first made the model, then distressed it, then coated with up to 3 coats of grout in varying degrees of runniness(slump). Before I put the grout on I cut the model into pieces that I could easily put in and out of the tank. After grouting it,I siliconed it to the tank and put a last coat of grout on the silicone seam. Now I am waiting for it to cure as has been decribed on this site by others.

Hmmm, is grout going to leach anything into the tank, I know when I use concrete your supposed to cure it for awhile, like weeks, until the pH goes down. Just a thought. Nice work though.

Back
Top Bottom