Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2003, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to lbry21
300 Gallon Tank Project. [ STAND HELP NEEDED]

Well been out of aquarium market for about 3 1/2 years now. My last setup was a 125 gallon tank and it was very enjoyable but it had to stay in Orlando when I made my move South Florida. Recently I just bought a Villa and now plan to setup another tank since my residence is locked for at least 5-10 years.

I just purchased a 300 Gallon acrylic tank, built in overflows etc. Tank is in VERY good condition and I got a great deal on it.

I'm trying to figure out how I want to go about building out the STAND. Has anyone here built a stand for a tank of this magnatude? This will be going in my home and I'm considering all possiblities. One would be to build it into a wall to increase the value of the property, etc.

I'd like to keep the WET/DRY, De-Nitrate system all under the tank in the stand.

The water weight alone will be approaching 2500lbs so I'd like to get as much feedback as possible before I start buying wood for this project.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

WOW 300 gal's
First thing I 'd do is make sure the floor can hold that kind of weight.

By the time it is done & full of stuff it will be over a 1.5 ton's

- - Aquipment --
010gal Glass Tank-QT/Hospital
015gal Glass Tank-Partitioned Fish Jail
33gal Glass Tank-South American Cichlids {Angels)
120gal Glass Tank-Mixed Malawi Rift
small Koi/goldfish pond
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/orcutt_2000

Heres a link to my photo album, this will give you a good idea of what I have been doing the last 2 months. It sounds like our ideas are similar, except mine is only 150gal.

If you have any questions on what you see, let me know. I'll be glad to help you as much as I can.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #4

Very nice.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp
WOW 300 gal's
First thing I 'd do is make sure the floor can hold that kind of weight.

By the time it is done & full of stuff it will be over a 1.5 ton's
The tank will be going in a villa that is one story. I have no clue about how they laid the foundation (thickness, etc.) Should I check into this prior to tank setup? I was under the impression that as long it was 1st floor it would be ok. The building was built in the late 70s not sure of the codes back then for foundations.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

you should deffinately consult a structural engineer or at least a general contractor about shoring up the floor where you will be putting that tank.

as far as what kind of wood, I think doubled up 2x6 beams as cross members and 4x4 posts as legs would be more than sufficient.

another alternative would be to see about getting a stand built from steel or wrought iron ... it would be a lot more 'condensed' then a wood stand, and probably weight about the same.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:02 PM   #7

After looking over everything again, I've found a spot for the aquarium. Building it into the wall wouldn't be practical at this point. So I'd like to construct a stand from wood to keep the costs below $300.00 with a finished surface.

As for brining on a GC to look at redistributing load, can anyone recall having to do this? Seems like this aspect would make this aquarium project not very cost effective. It may be feasable for me to make an entertainment center out of the fish tank stand giving the tank more room to distribute the load from. But the bulk of it will be directed downwards from the tank itself.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
So how did it go? I just wanted to add my 2 cents, but probably a little late.

I was surprised to see when I helped a friend setup his 240gal that the stand had NO reinforcements. It was simply a box made from 3/4 plywood. That is how it came when he bought it new. I wouldn't trust it, but he told me that it had been setup for years before.

Let me know if you need a hand or anything. I am only a few miles away from you. All I will ask in return is help building my next stand.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Grndhog,

Man I like what you have done with the 150gal.
Looks GREAT!!!!
Well done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Oscar,

I've been working on the plumbing this last week, I broke my digital camera so I'm missing out on the progress pix

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 gallon, project, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com