30G acrylic frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are slowly picking up frags here and there. I have a feeling that will pick up now that we both started working for the summer. We also just found this very cool local operation called mid west frags. Guy does most of his business from just frags. He hand picks all his coral from other reefers and things of that nature instead of buying from whole salers. He has some awesome looking stuff there. My mother has also been talking about ordering from you again so i'm sure you'll be contributing to the tank soon!

Very cool...Does the guy you are talking about have a site or an email address? I'd like to check out what he has.

www.midwestreefsuppy.com I don't think he is very organized though and i'm not sure how much he has on his site. Me and my brother are gonna go in there and volunteer/help out kinda thing and when i go i'm going to bring my camera and take some pictures off some of his coolers stuff. I'm thinking i'll do that this weekend. I'll let him know about you. You two could probably do some swapping and such.

support@midwestreefsuppy.com is the email. He runs if after he gets off from his day job.

they are still in the process of gettin the shop setup so the hours are sketchy. His name is John McAvoy, and he runs uberfrags dot net. I went in to help out the other day and Gary Parr was also there, he does a lot of photography and such. Within a couple months they should have their stuff a bit more together and online.

Last edited:
Quick Question about overflow box

Firstly, nice build. I'm jealous!

Second, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a question relating to your build that will help me with mine.

I have a 2x2x1 cube that has a 1" drain in the bottom. It is 6" from the back, and dead center. I was going to put a Durso pipe in there for the drain, but it then occurred to me that EVERY Durso I see is always in an overflow box. My question is...Do I need an overflow box or can the standpipe just be "out there" in the middle of the tank? What advantage would building an overflow box give. I have no plans to drill a return into the tank, and will be going "over the rim".

Thanks.
Marc

Firstly, nice build. I'm jealous!

Second, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a question relating to your build that will help me with mine.

I have a 2x2x1 cube that has a 1" drain in the bottom. It is 6" from the back, and dead center. I was going to put a Durso pipe in there for the drain, but it then occurred to me that EVERY Durso I see is always in an overflow box. My question is...Do I need an overflow box or can the standpipe just be "out there" in the middle of the tank? What advantage would building an overflow box give. I have no plans to drill a return into the tank, and will be going "over the rim".

Thanks.
Marc

Not to steal the guys thunder but the purpose of the overflow box is to keep the water level in the main tank constant. I suppose it would work without the box but I think having the box is a better idea. I have seen several tanks (my LFS's main coral tank) with exposed pipes in the center of the tank and they work fine, just make sure to put something over the opening like large square mesh (plastic) to keep any fish/snails from going down the drain.

WOW great job, Looks like a pro made that tank!
what would i use to drill 1/2inch acrylic? say a 1 3/4, and 1 1/4 hole? what type of bit do you think?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom