Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

30g canopy build

Hey everyone, I'm building a canopy for my 30g sps dominated tank. I'd like some help building it, it's 36" long and I think 12" wide. I'm making I because I want to hide my lights, I'm building a DIY led unit in the near future and want it to look nice. I'm going to need to be able to get into the tank often, and I need the canopy to be pretty high because of how strong the LEDs are, I was thinking 12". I want it to look nice, not creepy. I don't know where to start, so if anyone could help me out it'd be great.

What supplies will I need? I checked some videos, I would need it to open, I don't want to take it off constantly.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i made mine out of 1by 2 cedar to build the frame then wrapped it in 1/4 birch ply wood coated the inside with white spray paint the poly clear dressed the outside with some nice mold trim and painted that black ...used velcro for easy removal of back panel so i dont need to remove the whole thing to get to bio wheel and what not...its easy to do just have a plan and measure twice if not you will have spare wood like i did lol

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an external overflow and directional u-tube, but those are the only things hanging. I have a grey stand, what would look nice with it? Im not sure how a grey canopy will look.. The tank has trim, so will that be a problem? I think its a little thicker on the rim compared to standard. I'm going to add a power strip on the top, will I need to cover it from salt creep or will that not be a problem?

Thanks
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, build, canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com