Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

30g long and 10g stand

Hey guys,

I am going to be building a 30 gallon long stand, and making room for the 10gallon to go underneath. I am going to be using these plans:

Reef Central Online Community - DIY Stands Template and Calculator

It seems like a rock-solid stand based on what I've read. The only thing that will differ from what is depicted would be that I am going to use 2x6s on the bottom frame to raise the bottom tank up a little more. I will be adding another blue piece in the middle of the bottom frame. I will then notch the corners off a sheet of plywood and screw it into the bottom frame. That will hold the 10gal.

I may decide to cover the sides with plywood but right now I plan on using some trim to create a beveled edge around the top frame and some carved wood to cover the front corners. I think I'm going to be using a darker colored granite spray paint with it and hitting it with a clear sealer.

Couple things I thought I would ask before I get started on this next weekend. What length and type of screws should I use? I have some galvanized drywall screws that are 2 1/2" that I think would be perfect. I think we are going to go with a finished MDF board (I forget the name of it now, I used some for my work benches, its finished on one side and the edges but the bottom is not) on the top and the bottom.

The dimensions:

40" high
40" wide
16" deep

We will probably end up anchoring it into the wall at the top just to be safe

If you have any other recommendations please let me know! Thanks guys!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 1/2 inch screws should be fine. galvanized is good. the only thing i would add is to seal the non-laminated side of the mdf so it doesnt soak up any water. (accidents happen)
other than that it all looks great. putting sides on it would make it much stronger and if you need the back open you could just do 10 inches in from each side and that would leave 20 inches open. it doesnt have to be thick plywood hardiboard or 1/4 inch luan is fine.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the tip Matt. I was thinking about caulking the inside seams on the bottom as well. I know I'm rather messy when I do my maintenance! I will definitely seal the bottom, good point!

I was either thinking about using 1/4" for the sides but I might end up adding some shelves that you can access from the side to hold my supplies. They would go into the stand, screwed into the corner pieces. It is kind of a work in progress, I keep seeing things that I want to add! Who knows what I'll end up with

Thanks again for the tips!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Just a little tip for anyone who uses these plans...

I was planning on making my stand 40" tall to make it easier to see while standing up. I accounted for the 2x6" base, and the 2x4 top, and decided to make my legs (the 8 2x4s - purple) 30" tall. I need 8 of these so I figured... 30x4=120 which is a 2x4x10'. This did not work, some of you may already see where I am going with this...

Indeed, the math adds up but it doesn't take into consideration the 'cuts' you make. The width of the blade would have left me with 3 30" pieces and a 29" and some odd fraction. Long story short, I made the legs 29 1/2" long. That left me with about 2 inches extra, better safe than sorry!

I got the bottom frame completed, the top frame completed, and all the other major cuts done. I am trying to upload a picture off my cellphone but I don't have good service here.

I had a 10% off a purchase of $50 or more at Lowes so I got the following:

2 - 16x45" Laminated 'shelves' (3/4" MDF) - **Note, they are not exactly 16" wide, like they state... LOL!
3 - 2x4x10'
2 - 2x4x8'
1 - 2x6x10'
1 - 4'x8' 1/4" Birch Plywood - had them cut it in half (for the sides and front)

If any of you are wondering the cost... $48.03 after tax and coupon Not bad!

I also had my eye on some trim for it, kind of like a taller baseboard but with more grooves. I also found a casing that looked really nice that I am going to put around the top, flush with the top board.

I'm rather excited to get this project off and running! Hopefully on Thursday I will have some free time to finish up the building, and maybe Monday paint it. I will post back with anymore tips
Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I finally got it to send... here is a picture of the completed bottom frame, and the top is almost done, just have to screw in the middle support. Coming along nicely
Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quick update of what I did last night:

Legs are done, I am test fitting the top. It fits!!!

A close-up of the notches I had to do on the bottom 'shelf' -- I will caulk these before painting.

Got the top and the sides on it. I used finishing nails to hold the 'shelves' and side plywood on. For the legs, I did two screws at the top, two at the bottom and 3 staggered the length to prevent twisting. If you look above you can see what I mean.

I will be going camping this weekend (Happy Memorial Day!) but I will hopefully be back on Monday to cut the plywood for the front and the inside to cover the 2x4's in the corners, get the trim for it, sand, caulk, and paint it! What do you guys think?!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Ooohhhhh....Very nice work! Well done!

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Almost there!

Well I did a little work yesterday, I have been a little under the weather lately. Allergies this time of the year are horrid. Anyways, I got some work done and I'm almost there.

I did make one mistake, I bought some 4 1/2" trim for the bottom but my miter saw is only 4" tall. It was after 9:00pm and Lowes was closed so I just did the top, today I will return the 4 1/2" trim and get something like the top. Now onto the pictures, oh and just so you know, I will take better ones once it is done. These are all from my phone...

Top trim secured

Corner seams and nail holes fixed with wood filler.

Inside covered with 1/4" Birch

Updated cost:
Trim - $20 (both pieces)
Rust-Oleum Gloss Black Paint - $8
Elmer's Natural Colored Wood Filler - $2 (comes in a tube, very easy to use.)
Total: $30

That makes my project total: $80

I will post some pictures when I get the first coat of paint on tonight.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm guessing your miter saw doesn't tilt to 45 either. You could just buy a new saw of course that 's feeding the tool junkie and wants he gets started look out.

the stand is looking good
Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That stand looks awesome! Good work.

Tags
30 gallon, long, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com