Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

3D Background

I am new here and I have a perplexing question. I have recently purchased, from a friend, a 55 gallon tank and I want to make a 3D foam background for it. I have watched a ton of videos on youtube and think I have a solid idea of what I want to do. I am doing cliffs with an imbedded tree trunk with mangrove style roots. I am really only planting it with moss (Xmas and/or java) with star grass on the floor. However, I have a rather stupid question. How do I go about adhering the moss to the cliffs if it is underwater, or how do I keep the moss wet with cycled water if the tank is empty? Does that make sense? Any help will br graciously appreciated as I am rather new to the aquarium world.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use any type aquarium safe glue, and if you're dong a dry start (growing plants out of water in their places and keeping moist) then you don't need to fasten them at all, as they will grow in and attach to their spots. You can use any fogger to keep it moist, and you just need declorinated water. That's about all there is to it. Any more questions and just feel free to ask!

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

How do I glue down the moss and fill the tank immediately after I am done with water that won't kill my plants? Does the API Tap Water Conditioner work immediately? So I can glue everything down and then add water?
Old 07-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chlorine and tap water really dot affect plants, so you could fill it up from the tap, add water conditioner and cycle for fish. Shouldn't be problem. Let the glue dry before you add water though.
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #5

Ok I just got the tank this morning probably about a. Month before it will be at the plant stage. I will put up pics if I can figure out how on this site lol
Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use plain old crazy glue. The gel type works great as it does not run. The water will actually make it cure faster. It is safe for fish and invertebrates and won't come apart under water. It does turn white under water but the moss or plant soon covers it. If you want to start the tank without water you just need to keep the moisture in the air up. Cover the top of the tank and mist with water daily. You could also put just an inch or two of water in the bottom of the tank and keep the top covered That should keep enough moisture in the tank to get the moss to grow.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

Now that's what I was looking for thank you

Tags
3d background, background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com